Sonos One vs. Homepod (actual article with comparison 2 Sonos Ones)

• 23 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As Sonos was promoting buying stereo pair of Sonos Ones to compete with Apple Homepod (which seems to be failing so far - at least until apple fixes Airplay2) .....first article I saw where they actually compared the stereo Sonos Ones with a Homepod (and actually confirmed they did to Trueplay tuning on the Sonos).

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-homepod-vs-sonos-one-sound-quality-face-off/

Really there only negative to the Sonos One appears to be not as strong in the low end.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There have been several. Most damning to the HomePod is probably the David Pogue blind test, as he’s been Apple fanboy #1 for years. Reviews from Consumer Reports and the BBC, both very objective sources, are telling, as well.

Naturally, the Apple fanboy mags all sing the HomePod’s praises. :8

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-culture-the-industry-228997/homepod-vs-sonos-6802334/index1.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea if you go on an apple site all you get is the praise as to how good it sounds. I guess compared to most airplay or Bluetooth speakers if that's what they have been stuck with so far.

I'll take a look at your link Chicks.

I was certainly expecting a lot more from Apple on this one. I wasn't about to drop Sonos system I have for one but I sure thought it would be intriguing - and it hasn't. And they even made Siri more incapable on the homepod then on my phone - - I think they hit a deadline on this thing and put it out way to half baked! Sonos One just kills it for functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ah yes - Chicks you already had this article in the other thread I hadn't seen. thanks for sharing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I have said it before and I will say it again. Unless you are an Apple Music subscriber and strongly desire voice control of this service I cannot see any credible reason to recommend HomePod. None.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You have to be Apple and only Apple person.
Badge
Even as an Apple fan boy I still have found nothing really compelling about the HomePod. In fact unless Sonos comes through with airplay 2 integration the HomePod would only be a stand alone speaker in this house. I have tried finding reasons to put the HomePod on my house, but I always come to the same conclusion that it connects to nothing, I have Apple Music on Sonos, and the digital assistant on the HomePod needs a huge amount of work. Maybe it will be a more baked product in the future but right now it’s a quality noise maker that stands by itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I agree. I have $10k+ of Apple gear in active use (and lots more retired), and there isn’t a single thing that makes the HomePod interesting to me.