Sonos Move keeps going offline

• 16 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Just got my Move a week and half ago, joined with rest of my system no problem.  First issue has been battery dying within 18 hours.  So in trying to fix that problem by resetting it, turning it off for 30 secs per Sonos suggestions, I am now having issue of the Move staying online.  Every time I go to use it, it’s offline.  Once I turn it back on manually, battery is at 85%, so that’s not why it’s offline.  I added a Boost last night to try and ensure my WiFi is stable.  My worry was, it would go offline if it loses WiFi.  Problem still exists.  Looking for suggestions.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @fordvolk,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out  with your issue.

I’ve taken a look at the diagnostic reports associated with your account and it looks like your Move is connecting to an Apple Airport on a different network SSID than the network that your Boost is wired into.

Its also important to not that wiring a Sonos product to your will prompt it to broadcast a Sonos-only network called Sonosnet that the Move is not designed to work with.

If your phone controller is getting its WiFi connection from your ISP provided router but your Move is connecting to a different network or access point, it may not show as online correctly in your Sonos app.  

I have the same issue. I have a Sonos ecosystem with every speaker and am very good at troubleshooting as I have almost every product. My Sonos moved worked great for 6 months. But recently it’s just showing offline and I can’t fix it. Yes it’s in with mode with power and close to my internet router and boost. I’ve tried rebooting 4 times. It connects after a reboot but quickly goes offline and won’t work. Any help? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonstevens5.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app preferably while the Move is securely on its charging cradle, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Badge +1

Mine has just developed the same problem. Keep following the troubleshooting steps, finally seemed to work this morning  but now gone offline again after taking it off the base to use on balcony

Me too. I’ve had the same problem with my Move for almost a year. Continues to go offline.  I’m at my wits end. Too much trouble for such an expensive system. We have five other Sonos speakers in addition to the Move. 

Me too. I’ve had the same problem with my Move for almost a year. Continues to go offline.  I’m at my wits end. Too much trouble for such an expensive system. We have five other Sonos speakers in addition to the Move. 

What WiFi band is the Move using?.. If it’s running on the 5Ghz band, then perhaps switch it to the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band and remove the 5Ghz band credentials from your Sonos App network settings. Also ensure your router is using ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 as those are non-overlapping - (note if using SonosNet for your other speakers, then set the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel). 

One further thing that may greatly help, is to switch your routers 2.4Ghz band to use a channel-width of 20MHz only.

Hopefully those suggestions will stop your ‘Move’ going offline. Note however, that the Move is designed to fall into ‘sleep-mode’ in certain circumstances anyway off it’s charger-loop, such as after 30 minutes of inactivity. It will also sleep after 3 minutes when woken by the App (WOL packet) and not used for playback etc.

HTH

Same here. Two move speakers offline. 1500 bucks for this?