Question

Sonos Move Battery Life

Hi, I have spoken with support on this issue in the past, but it still seems to be an issue. We fully charged our Move on 8/1 at 5:40 pm and took it off of the charging base. We did not turn it on again until today 8/5 at 9:00 a.m. and the battery life was at 17%. Is this supposed to be happening? Because it can be rather frustrating to have charged it all of the way, only to go to use it later and basically have it be dead even though we haven’t powered it up at all in the time between charging it and powering it up. So far, we have been incredibly disappointed with this product.

And yes, we made sure it was powered off when we took it off the charging station.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This is a long standing, widely experienced and acknowledged issue that Sonos seem to have stopped commenting on.

Yes, I was afraid of that. How disappointing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It’s the one thing that is stopping me from buying one. I’ve got the money burning a hole in my pocket but I’m not going to buy one until this issue is sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

January to May, that’s impressive standby. But seriously Sonos do seem to have assumed people will leave it always on the charging base, which is wrong. 

Battery tech is evolving, just more slowly than I’d like. Sonos is at the whim of the suppliers, I assume. I don’t think they’ve changed to a battery company, their focus is still speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Airgetlam , what does any of this have to do with battery tech?

Are you suggesting this drain is in any way close to normal for a battery connected to a device that is switched off?

Over this period the drain should be close to zero.

Close to, but not at zero. I’ve never seen a battery that doesn’t lose power over time, it’s the nature of the chemical reaction. 

But I’m speaking in generalities, not specific to the Move. I don’t own one, so my posts are speculative, based on other battery devices I own. As I say, I doubt that Sonos makes their batteries, I would guess they outsource the work to another company. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Close to, but not at zero. I’ve never seen a battery that doesn’t lose power over time, it’s the nature of the chemical reaction. 

But I’m speaking in generalities, not specific to the Move. I don’t own one, so my posts are speculative, based on other battery devices I own. As I say, I doubt that Sonos makes their batteries, I would guess they outsource the work to another company. 

What does Sonos outsourcing their batteries have to do with the power drain bug?  Sonos hasn't acknowledged that the battery is faulty, which seems to be what you are implying. This would be

very unfortunate for current owners and less so for people like me who would buy one when this bug is fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, close to as I said.  Completely powered off I'd expect 0 or 1% over the period above for a modern lithium ion battery and let's say maybe 5% or so a day if ‘sleeping'.  Depending on the off state above was, this is upto about 80 times the battery drain that should happen.

My point was what has battery tech evolving or Sonos not making them got to do with this issue?  It is very, very obviously an issue with the Move software.

Sonos said a long time back that they are powering on when they shouldn't.   If you power it down completely (a long press), nothing at all other than a physical button press should wake it up - and this should be a close to zero drain.

I've started powering down my tablet (foregoing the convenience of immediate use) because it was draining about 30% a week when sleeping.  It now drops about 1% a week if I don't use it - but boot up takes about 30s.

January to May, that’s impressive standby. But seriously Sonos do seem to have assumed people will leave it always on the charging base, which is wrong. 

It’s not January to May unfortunately. That’s August 1st to August 5th. 100% battery power to 17% without the speaker having been turned on once. That’s just not acceptable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I know. I was joking. hence the “but seriously”

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It’s not January to May unfortunately. That’s August 1st to August 5th. 100% battery power to 17% without the speaker having been turned on once. That’s just not acceptable. 

Hey Heidilynn if you are still within your return period send it back and tell them why. We need to light a fire to get them to fix this defect and speaking with our $$$ is the only message they understand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Imagine if Sonos stopped ignoring this issue and started commenting in the threads complaining about it.  Just any sort of update other than all that happens now……. ‘Never heard of this issue, can you submit a diagnostic?…. ‘

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Imagine if Sonos stopped ignoring this issue and started commenting in the threads complaining about it.  Just any sort of update other than all that happens now……. ‘Never heard of this issue, can you submit a diagnostic?…. ‘

Maybe as Airgetlam suggests it's a battery issue? Would this

explain the silence?