Answered

sonos five airplay capability

• 15 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Sonos no Bluetooth workaround

Would it be possible to use a Sonos speaker through airplay when the wifi provider my phone is connected to is not suitable to connect a Sonos to (the wifi in many universities requires a username and password to login, and even then can be problematic in terms of tethering devices together on the network) I’ve read online that airplay can work as a sort of hotspot for connection so I’m wondering wether it would work in a scenario where I was unable to connect my Sonos to the network? Barring this if any users have had any experience using Sonos in university or that sort of username and password type of network any help would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 June 2021, 19:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, this would not work as you described.  Airplay requires that both the speaker and phone to be on the same WiFi network.  Really you would need your own private network setup, so a router or travel router.  Not sure how your university would think about that.

Personally, I’d go a different route by using the aux input on the back of the Five.  You can either have wired connection between speaker or phone or get a bluetooth receiver dongle connected to the aux port.  

A Move or Roam would of course work better for a dorm room.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly, I’ve just been reading an alternative forum on here where somebody was talking about their being a difference between wifi and internet connection, what if I’d set the speaker up at home with a normal wifi connection and then took it to uni with me where my phone would be able to connect to uni wifi but the speaker would just ‘exist’ with an internet connection following the original set up at home? you can probably tell from my questions I’m not very techy so feel absolutely free to put me in my place haha I’m not very well versed with this. With what you’ve said about using a Bluetooth adapted or an aux cable would that work absolutely fine then following a normal set up on my home wifi? There would be no problem using it as just a normal plug and play speaker (other than forfeiting the normal Sonos features)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This will not work. You do not take the "normal wifi connection” with you to university. The connection is not part of the speaker - it's part of your home.

For Sonos the speaker and the phone must be able to “see” eachother via wifi. University networks actively prevent this (as do company networks and hotel networks) for safety reasons.

You best bet is the travel router. This will log in to the university network and create it's own network for your phone and the Sonos speaker.

Okay thank you very much for the advice I’ll look into a travel router. What about using it as just a plug and play speaker as I mentioned would that work?