Answered

Roam -- Swap vs Grouping (using play button)

• 10 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

So the Roam is supposed to have a “swap” ability (swap music to and from another Sonos speaker) - by pressing and holding the play button.   But what if I want to press and hold the play button on the Roam to “group” with other speakers already playing in the house  - as I can do now with other Sonos speakers (not swap). 

Is that still possible with the Roam using the press/hold on play (if so, how is that differentiated from the “swap” function)?   I know the app could do this regardless, but wondering if you can group a Roam by holding the play button (instead of opening the app)?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 April 2021, 03:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

This article does a good job explaining how Sound Swap works as opposed to adding to a group:

“Sonos Sound Swap works when the Sonos Roam is on Wi-Fi. When on Wi-Fi and the play/pause button on Roam has been pressed and held (for about five seconds), the speaker will prompt other Sonos speakers on your network to emit an ultrasonic frequency sound. You need to continue to hold the play/pause button beyond the first sound which the Roam will emit when you press the button initially after about three seconds. This takes it past the adding to a group and onto the Sound Swap function.”

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/156050-what-is-sonos-sound-swap-how-does-it-work-and-which-speakers-is-it-available-on.amphtml

I have the same question. I'd love to group the roam with a press of a bottom, not just swap. 

I have the same question. I'd love to group the roam with a press of a bottom, not just swap. 

With music playing on a Sonos Room in the same Household, whilst in WiFi mode, press and hold the Play/Pause button on the Roam until you hear the 2nd tone (approx 1-2 seconds) (the actual pressing of the button is the first tone).. let go and it will group with the playing room.

Simply repeat the process to goto any next-playing Sonos Room (you can cycle-through playing rooms), or if there isn’t anything playing, the Roam will just ungroup and stop playing.

Sorry, but this “swap” DONT WORKS. I think Sonos have troubles or must update all the speakers. I have the Roam and is imposible to make it works with my Sonos Five, Beam, or some of my One.

Epic fails Sonos! 

Sorry, but this “swap” DONT WORKS. I think Sonos have troubles or must update all the speakers. I have the Roam and is imposible to make it works with my Sonos Five, Beam, or some of my One.

Epic fails Sonos! 

Sound Swap is working just fine here in our Home - we are able to swap the audio both back and forth between Roam and our other Sonos speakers, like the Beam, Five etc. 

As others have already said... ‘it works really well”, just the occasional glitch with audio sent to an unintended speaker, if the Roam is equidistant between devices, but otherwise all seems to be good with the new feature.

Sorry but maybe for your works and is great but I read a lot of comments where the swap don’t works. I’m not stupid and do exactly the Sonos instructions shows and don’t works. 

I’ll send a message to Sonos support and if don’t works I’ll return the Roam and keep my Soundlink. Maybe some of that Roam have troubles. 

Sorry but maybe for your works and is great but I read a lot of comments where the swap don’t works. I’m not stupid and do exactly the Sonos instructions shows and don’t works. 

I’ll send a message to Sonos support and if don’t works I’ll return the Roam and keep my Soundlink. Maybe some of that Roam have troubles. 

I just go deep in this Sonos trouble and the reason is the swap ONLY WORKS using the music from Sonos App. If you are using AirPlay, Bluetooth or another audio source DONT WORKS! 

Badge +17

I just go deep in this Sonos trouble and the reason is the swap ONLY WORKS using the music from Sonos App. If you are using AirPlay, Bluetooth or another audio source DONT WORKS! 

Hi @Paulina, yes, this is expected. From our Sound Swap FAQ:

Additional details

• TV, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio cannot be swapped.
  • Roam’s microphone LED will light up when swapping audio as it’s used to detect nearby products.
  • Audio cannot be swapped with Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 1), Port, Connect, or Connect:Amp. You can swap audio with Amp if it’s connected to Sonos Architectural speakers.

Yes, that’s correct. See this Sonos Support page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4990.

(edit: Ooops … @James L. beat me to it.)