Roam dropping off my network

• 20 October 2021
  • 2 replies

I have an S2 Sonos system of two ports and a connect and now with a roam on my network at home. The roam keeps disappearing off of the app and i have to power down and back on to get it back. Have spent some time now with sonos help and they tell me that I have to reconfigure my router and network to enable it to work properly! What!!?? They are selling a product that does not work seamlessly with 90% of the home networks in the UK - are u kidding!? Apparently I have to either turn of the 5Ghz (whatever that means) channel of my router (any ideas of how to do this anyone?) and/or give it a separate SSID!!??? Any ideas welcome. I can cook a mean chicken roast but have no idea of what any of this means. SONOS GET REAL!! MY wife has now purchased a Denon bluetooth speaker for the home so she can listen to Radio 2 without hassle from her mobile phone - which your Roam never managed to do properly. Thanks Sonos for making a totally duff product! You guys need to get this sorted for the average user otherwise more of this is going to happen. REALLY PISSED OFF CUSTOMER.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Christophus3 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had such trouble with your new Roam. Taking a look at your most recent diagnostics, I can see that you have an additional TP-Link WiFi access point. As an educated guess, I would say that you are unable to see the Roam in your Sonos app whenever the Roam connects to this second point instead of to the router directly. Alternatively, it’s also possible that you encounter the issue when your phone/tablet is connecting via the secondary access point, though this is less likely as you’re able to see the other rooms.

It’s also possible that if both your phone/tablet and the Roam are connecting to the secondary access point at the same time, the Roam won’t be missing from the app.

What kind of device is this secondary access point? If it is a WiFi booster or extender, then you have discovered exactly why we don’t support the use of them - they half the available bandwidth and often block the very network protocols (known as multicast) that Sonos utilises on your local network to communicate with each other and the app(s). If it’s another type of device then there may be a setting we can change.

An easy test for you to try is to turn off the extender, if that’s what it is. If the Roam stays visible in the app during this time over a period where, in your experience, it would “normally” drop off, then you’ve confirmed my theory. Alternatively, and more definitively, wait for the Roam to go missing again and then turn off the access point - if the Roam reappears within a minute (probably less), then that would also confirm what I think is happening.

If the access point has settings that you can change, then you can change the network name it broadcasts to one that your Sonos system doesn’t know (and then teach your other devices the details) to prevent this issue. Clearly you don’t know how to do this, but if you let me know the details of the device then I will do my best to find/write you some instructions.

Should you wish to use your Roam in the area of your home that the access point services, I’d recommend using Bluetooth on the Roam itself or investing in a WiFi mesh system to broadcast a more reliable and functional WiFi network. Should you decide to get a mesh system, I recommend a read of my article to ensure correct configuration to prevent two routers from existing on your network (a simple change of one setting):

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

I’m having a similar issue and believe it’s linked to both the latest Sonos update along with Apple releasing iOS 15 and here why.
We have 4 Apple devices in our household 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, after upgrading 1 iPad and 1 iPhone, to iOS 15, I started to have the issue that the roam was not showing in the speaker list if I turned it off and on again it showed up in the app, the app also reported this as it was done.

The devices that had not been upgraded to iOS 15 never had any problems finding the roam so I then upgraded the other iPhone and which point it then starts having the same problem but as before the iPad that has not been upgraded finds the roam every time.

My Wi-Fi is currently supplied via a BT Smarthub 2 that doesn’t allow to to separate the SSID’s only switch off the 5ghz connection and at the moment I can see that the roam is connected to this as well as the iPhone running iOS 15 and the iPad running iOS 14 everything is on the same 5ghz network connection as it shows this in the hub interface.

The last thing I’ve noticed is that once the roam is woken up by the device running the older iOS version it then shows up in the speaker list of the other devices after a few seconds so it just seems that the updated ones don’t seem to wake it up once it’s gone to sleep?

Hopefully it’s something that will get fixed in the future or I’m faced with switching of the 5ghz option on my hub to make it work?