Question

Refurbished connect amp

• 18 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi all,

Long story short, I’ve been having the usual well documented drop out issues with my zp100. I’ve contacted the support team and gone through the various tests and diagnostics processes but it seems there’s not much that can be done to resolve the problem.

In the end they offered me a refurbished unit for £349. They have given me the weekend to think about it but honestly I can’t really afford that much right now. While I appreciate the offer and understand that they have no obligation to replace my unit, and this is much cheaper than buying a new one, does this sound quite a steep price for a refurbished unit?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have heard of more generous offers, but your current unit must be pretty old. Have they definitively said your unit is faulty, and if so in what way?
Userlevel 2
Yes faulty but no specific explanation on the issue. I guess giving specifics would make for an easy third party repair?
Yes faulty but no specific explanation on the issue. I guess giving specifics would make for an easy third party repair?I very much doubt that is the reason.
Do you have other Sonos speakers and do you ever listen to them in sync with the C:A? I do have a reason for asking,
Userlevel 2
Yes and yes but have tried it loads of times on its own.
I have:
Play bar
Sub
Play3 x2 as surrounds
Play5 gen1
Play5 gen2
Connect
Connect amp
Bridge
Ipod dock x2
OK. I was just thinking that if you tended to use it alone then a Chromecast and a better amp might have been a better alternative, but forget that
Userlevel 2
Ok, so there was no way i was going to fork out that much for a refurbished unit so I bit the bullet and took the amp appart to have a looksee... nothing really jumped out at me appart from lots of dust and a few quite dull solder joints. I completely dismantled the whole unit, cleand everything really well with a cotton bud and alcohol then resoldered the bad joints that i could see... put the whole thing back together and reconnected it back up to the system, and well so far it’s been working for at least 4 hors with no drop outs, whereas before it was disappearing of the network after about 20-30mins... don’t really know what I’ve done but it’s definitely an improvement. I’ll keep it playing for the rest of the night changing music and groupings etc and report back tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Could possibly have been a dry solder joint causing your problems?.
Userlevel 2
UPDATE

I’ve been running the amp on and off now for over two days and i have had no issues at all. So my advice is, if you don’t really have any options other than to fork out for a new one or a higly priced refurbished unit (as i was offered) and the unit is destined for the bin, you might as well have a go at fixing it. Of course i only reccomend this if you have a little electronic now how. Also, beware that the sticker on the back of the machine showing the terminals will pretty much be trashed as there are 3 screws underneath it that you will need to access. It might have helped to heat it up a bit with a hair dryer beforehand but I didn’t have one to hand at the time.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the white power light on the front used to flicker when in operation but i also resoldered these connections and it filckers no more!