Question

Play 5’s with Soundbar

• 16 December 2017
  • 5 replies

So I have a PLAYBAR and love it. Went out and got a pair of Play 5’s to augment the PLAYBAR as front speakers (shame on me for listening to the sales rep instead of doing my own homework).....I understand (now) that this is not possible. The primary goal is for streaming music through the TV (Sony XBR-65X750D) via YouTube mostly, so don’t really care about “home theater”. I was able to set the Play 5’s up as a stereo pair, and could create a group and stream music from my iPad to both the Living Room (Play 5’s) and the Family Room (PLAYBAR)—-keep in mind the speakers are actually in the same room. So I’m thinking, “ah-ha! I’ll just switch from My Music Library as the source, back to the TV, keeping the group together, and I’ve McGyvered my issue!”.....wrong....when I flipped back over to TV, I only get audio out of the PLAYBAR and the left Play 5. Ideas? Should I just return them and get the Sub? Will Sonos be coming out with an update to support front channels with the PLAYBAR? Should I run a 3.5mm -> 3.5mm cable from the TV to the Play 5 as an alternate TV output?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Personally, I would return the Play 5's and go for 2 Sonos Ones and then create a 5.1 set-up, the audio improvement is great. (The Playbar will create a pseudo 5.1 from a stereo signal, if the audio signal isn't a DD 5.1)
Yea....that is what I was thinking.....a pair of Play 1’s and a sub.....same cost (roughly) as the pair of Play 5’s......
So now the question becomes, do I use a pair of Play 1’s or Play 3’s as the rears? Suggestions? I may ask this as a new topic.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Really sorry but I've just read that you CAN use a pair of Play:5's as your rear speakers:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/home-theater-faqs.html

But personally I would go for a pair of Sonos Ones and a Sub.

Edit: Go for the Sonos One rather than the Play:1 as you'll then get Voice Control included! 🙂
So I decided to go with a pair of Play 1’s and a sub, and this is awesome so far......