Question

Play 5 + Line In = standby

• 23 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi all, i'm a proud new sonos play 5 owner and i'm really enthusiast about the audio quality of this single player.. but.. often i use the line in, cause i need hear better youtube videos, netflix and other locals media in vlc too, i have a problem. almost always when i click play on the media (web or local), the audio starts after some seconds.
When it starts theres no latency, but i have to restart the track cause i lost 3 - 5 or 20 seconds too.. it's like a standby of the linein...
how can i setup the sonos client to make always on and resolve this fix?
thank you all
Paolo

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Do you have Line-In Autoplay enabled? This would cause a small delay when it detects the signal and starts play. It also means that the Line-In stops playing a short while after silence is detected.

You can play with this setting in Room Settings -> (room) -> Line-In.

Note that if you disable Autoplay you'll have to select Line-In off the music menu to start it. You must also deliberately stop Line-In play when you're finished (or play something else) otherwise the PLAY:5 won't go into idle mode and power its amplifiers down. It will keep on playing silence.
Do you have Line-In Autoplay enabled? This would cause a small delay when it detects the signal and starts play. It also means that the Line-In stops playing a short while after silence is detected.

You can play with this setting in Room Settings -> (room) -> Line-In.

Note that if you disable Autoplay you'll have to select Line-In off the music menu to start it. You must also deliberately stop Line-In play when you're finished (or play something else) otherwise the PLAY:5 won't go into idle mode and power its amplifiers down. It will keep on playing silence.
I'm not that used to my Sonos yet but if those amplifiers are causing like a really tiny bit of noise thus the disappearance of that noise implicating the Sonos going into idle then you can also just stop the line in thing in the app without needing to switch to another source.
I have a play 5 and I’m using the line in to watch Netflix on my iPad. The line in cable is conneced to a blue tooth device and then I connect my iPad to that via Bluetooth. I select “uncompressed” because if I select compressed the audio on Netflix gets out of synch with the video. Using uncompressed solves that problem. The issue is when playing music. If I’m playing music and then on my ipad go to a website using the ipad browser, the music stops playing through the play 5. This happens even if I turn the Bluetooth off / disconnect the ipad from the speaker blue tooth line in connection and just play music via WiFi (but still have the line in cable connected to the back of the play 5). Can you help?