Question

Play 5 has very low volume

• 28 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Brand new Play 5 using in my living room to replace the Play 1. I have to turn it up to about 75% to get a decent listening volume. I can easily have a conversation with someone with it turned up this high and my Play 1 seems much louder from the same source. Is this thing defective? Unimpressed.+

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Doesn't sound right to me. What is the source of music that you're playing?
iPhone over wifi. It also doesn’t play dialog correctly from my tv through line-in, but that’s another issue.
Sorry, may I ask another question? Do you mean that the music is on your iPhone, or that you're using your iPhone to start a stream from Pandora, or Apple Music, or Amazon?

And since we're also talking about dialog, how do you have the line in connected to your TV? Specifically, what is the cable plugged in to on your TV? Do you have your TV set to Stereo, rather than Dolby Digital?
I am playing music that is in my music library on my phone. No stream from the internet. To answer your second question, my TV is connected to a DAC via Optical, then analog 3.5mm to the Sonos. If I am watching a show on TV, any music or sound effects play as expected, but any dialogue is barely audible and a touch digitized. Also, my previous system used the optical without issue, only new pieces are the DAC and the Sonos.
What happens if you try playing a music stream from say, TuneIn, since it's free? I'm wondering if Sonos is taking in to consideration the volume tag associated with your music files when it's playing them back. Another way to test this might be to try playing the same file using the phone's music player, and connect your line-in cable directly to the headphone jack on the phone.

I'd also recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.