Play 3 life remaining

• 14 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m considering buying a set of Play 3’s since they are available for around $100 used, but I’m wondering how much longer they will be usable. I use S2 to control my beam, sub, move, and connect. It sounds like the way Sonos handles these situations is they will eventually stop supporting it and stop providing updates, then one day certain services may stop working when the streaming services like Spotify are updated to a newer technology than the Play 3 can handle. Or will Sonos just brick the Play 3 and offer people a discount to upgrade? If I can get 2 or 3 years out of the Play 3’s it’ll probably be worth it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sonos produced devices way back in 2005 and those are still working today. The Play:3 manufacturing date ended 2018 (July) so it’s still supported by Staff anyway until July 2023 and will likely be usable for many many more years after that - so I think you are missing a bargain if you do not purchase the products on offer IMHO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Some Sonos devices have somewhat commonly-reported hardware issues over time, but I can’t recall any issues with Play:3 hardware failures.

(I am thinking of CR100 batteries, CR200 touchscreens, Bridge power supplies, Playbase wifi cards, etc).

Some of my Sonos gear is a decade old and fingers crossed its all still working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My 2010 era Play 3s are out in the dining room, not used much but still working great.

I’d probably get a One SL today rather than a used Play 3 but that is based more on the looks and size than sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My 2010 era Play 3s are out in the dining room, not used much but still working great.

I’d probably get a One SL today rather than a used Play 3 but that is based more on the looks and size than sound.

Don’t forget the SL has issues with local library playback with foreign characters in the path due to its unique Samba stack, and I know you are a NAS user Stanley.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My local library was scrubbed of all problem characters many years back due to a similar bug that seemed to impact the Play 5s and 3s I had back then. I never changed the auto-correct filters on my file ripper so any new stuff gets the same treatment even if not needed.

My library location/method varies as I fool with things, sometimes it is a Raspberry Pi 3B with an onboard M.2 drive, sometimes it is off my real NAS using NFS through a SMB v1 Gateway also running on a Pi.

My original WD Live Drive was salvaged for parts due to their unfixable security issues.