Answered

Play 1 stereo pair disconnecting

• 26 October 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have a stero pair of play 1’s in my bedroom but one of them keeps disconnecting? They were both connected wirelessly so I connected the one that disconnects with a wired connection through a home plug and Ethernet cable which worked after switching the speaker off and on again but it disconnected again. Any help would be nice, diagnostic code is 809052905.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 October 2018, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How strong is the wifi in your bedroom. Homeplugs don't work the best with Sonos. Best bet would be a Bridge/Boost/ or another sonos speaker hooked direct to your router and use Sonosnet instead of home wifi.

Try now plugging the non-working one direct to router and see if everything works then.
Hi Chris, thanks for responding. I have a very good wireless signal. I live in an old two-up two-down end of terrace cottage, the router is in the same corner of the room in the living room directly below the play 1 that keeps disconnecting. I have changed wireless channels to see if that helps but there's nothing else around so no interference from other devices. The other play 1 is fine and in the opposite corner, so slightly further away. At the moment its working fine but that probably won't last...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like Sonos needs to look at that diagnostic. Are you able to do a diagnostic with that play:1 connected WiFi.
Yes, I have sent two diagnostic codes, one working and one not. Just tried resetting wireless setting using the controller but that failed. It wasn't working at the time but that brought it back to life. As it happens it's showing up ok on my desktop in 'my pc' and i can browse all the folders. It shows up as being wired in my router, a TP-Link archer vr900. I have been asked by support to press the >II and the + buttons simultaneously and let them know how the LED responds.
I'll report back here with an update in case anyone else has a similar problem. At the moment it's working:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes, I have sent two diagnostic codes, one working and one not. Just tried resetting wireless setting using the controller but that failed. It wasn't working at the time but that brought it back to life. As it happens it's showing up ok on my desktop in 'my pc' and i can browse all the folders. It shows up as being wired in my router, a TP-Link archer vr900. I have been asked by support to press the >II and the + buttons simultaneously and let them know how the LED responds.
I'll report back here with an update in case anyone else has a similar problem. At the moment it's working:D

In general, Homeplugs and similar devices aren't very reliable when it comes to Sonos speakers. They tend to lose connection from time to time. Right now, you have wireless credentials still stored on your speakers, so they may try to switch to wireless when and if the Homeplug's connection drops. It may help to either go fully wireless (in which case you may wish to change your router's wireless channel), or reset the wireless credentials on your Sonos players so they don't switch back and forth. To clear the credentials, head into the Sonos app's settings menu and look under advanced settings for wireless setup, where you can reset the credentials.
Thanks Jeff, I would prefer to go completely wireless and have less in the way of cables and adopters. Tomorrow I will disconnect the home plug and clear the credentials, although that failed when I tried last time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff, I would prefer to go completely wireless and have less in the way of cables and adopters. Tomorrow I will disconnect the home plug and clear the credentials, although that failed when I tried last time.

I would recommend trying a few different wireless channels on your router if you had cut outs on the previous setup.
Ok an update. I swapped the play 1's around because the left one was next to a homeplug, I had a temporary homepug and ethernet lead connected to the right one to see if it kept disconnecting but I didn't want to keep it there. I managed to reset the wireless credentials using my ipad but for it to work I had to login to the 2.4G wireless network and not the 5G network. I had to remove one of the play 1's and add it again plus change the left and right speaker settings then finally run trueplay. Changing the wireless channel didn't make any difference to it disconnecting but now the left one is connected to a switch then homeplug in boost mode it seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help, I may well be back!:$
same problem here, twin Play 1s connected as stereo but the right one not working.