Answered

New router

• 9 April 2019
  • 5 replies

I got a new router and I cannot get the Sonos App to recognize the existing Sonos system I have. I do have sound for my home theatre but when I follow the instructions from Sonos I lose the sound and the app still does not work. I tried setting up as a new system but had the same issue. Any thoughts?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 April 2019, 16:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Is this the instructions you followed?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Are any of your Sonos devices wired to your network, or is everything wireless?
That was not the instructions I followed. The Sonos App does not give me that set of instructions. It simply asks me reset the speakers and when I do I lose all sound.

My speakers are all wireless.
You shouldn't need to reset anything. As per the instructions I linked to, you'll need to connect one of your speakers and then provide the updated wifi credentials.

If you have more than one Sonos product in your system, you'll be asked to connect one of them to your router with an Ethernet cable (which is typically included with each Sonos product). The cable connection is temporary and you may need to move one of your Sonos products closer to the router to do this.

Once Sonos is connected to the router, the Sonos app will ask for your WiFi password. After Sonos has connected to the WiFi network, the app will guide you through disconnecting the Ethernet cable and moving your Sonos product back to where it was before. After one final check, your Sonos system will be back on your home network.

So by 'reset' do you mean that you did a factory reset? If you did that, then you'll need to add them back in as if they are brand new speakers to your system. Did you do this for all of your speakers or just some? If all, then unfortunately, you're going to have to setup like a brand new system.
So if i can physically connect one of my play 1 speakers to the router via Ethernet cable, it will "talk" to the remainder of my system? My system is completely wireless. Thanks.
So if i can physically connect one of my play 1 speakers to the router via Ethernet cable, it will "talk" to the remainder of my system? My system is completely wireless. Thanks.
Yes, your speakers will connect as a mesh network to each other, using their own internal WiFi cards and the Sonos device cabled to the local network becomes the 'root hub' and will link all to your local network and internet gateway.

To control the speakers, just open the Sonos App on a device connected to your local network. You can use the mobile Sonos App to enter your routers WiFi credentials in Advanced Settings and once that is done the ‘root hub' speaker can be uncabled and your Sonos products will then all connect direct to your routers WiFi signal instead.

To switch the Sonos system back to SonosNet mesh, just cable one speaker to the local network. I would advise removing the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App if you do decide to leave things connected that way.