Question

Moving Sonos1 speakers to different rooms?

• 21 December 2013
  • 14 replies

I have connected to Sonos 1 speakers to my bridge which is downstairs. I want to move one of the speakers upstairs, but it cannot find the relocated speaker when I plug it in in the new location (upstairs).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Scott,

Once you've moved a unit it'll reconnect automatically with the same name it had before. You can change the name of a player at any time under Room Settings (right click on the name of the room or under Manage > Room Settings). You can even use custom names if you'd like, as the name of the unit doesn't matter to the software.

Cheers.
Hi, I have a similar issue, but when I move my player 1 to a different room, my iphone can't find it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I have a similar issue, but when I move my player 1 to a different room, my iphone can't find it.
Hi Esther,

There are a couple things which might prevent a player from connecting when you move it to another room. First off, the new location might be too far from the wired Sonos component that you have (or any other Sonos players in the mesh). You also might have a lot of interference in the new location.

Does that PLAY:1 connect when you move it back to the location it was in?

How far is it from the BRIDGE or other player?

If you'd like to submit a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number I can check if it's getting a lot of interference.
Hi, my confirmation # is 3984008
The distance that I'm trying to move my Player 1 is just in the room on the other side of my bridge. 
I have no problem getting connection from the room I initially set up the Player, but still cannot get it in the other room I would like it in.
Thank you 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you go to the room it was in and working does your iphone see it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Also, it does look like that BRIDGE is getting a good amount of interference which could cause the PLAY:1 not to connect at certain distances.

I'd recommend changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system and that of your router to make sure the two aren't overlapping. It's best to have at least 5 channels between the router and the Sonos channel.

If you can check the router's wireless, try turning off Auto-Channel so that it doesn't randomly change to the Sonos wireless.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Every time I power cycle my Play 1 the system loses track of it and tells me I don't have any devices that can play music. I than have to go through the registration process again (i.e. press the button on the device within two minutes). I thought it was just a "feature".
Seems to me that every time I unplug the Play 5 and move it I have to go through the setup. It only takes about a minute but it"s a pain. Even when I unplug then replug in a new location then unplug and go back to the original location I have to do it. This may be a characteristic of the software. I thought that once it set up it could be moved around freely and would work so long as (i)the network signal was still sufficient and (2)there was electricity. I know that if you want to set it up as if it were a new speaker you have to reboot/reset it. Am I right or is there a simple way to move the speaker and just plug it in?
I just move it and plug it in. That's how it should be. Not that I do that very often. Maybe your router is struggling over the P:5's IP address, but that's not a Sonos issue if so.
Is this your only speaker? Do you have a Bridge or Boost wired to your router? If the P:5 is your only Sonos speaker, whatever you do don't factory reset it.
Badge
I, too, have moved my components into different rooms and now I cannot find anyway to rename them in either my iPhone app or the Sonos app on my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to find Manage > Room Settings as directed in the first answer above but that option is just not there. Has the app been changed? How do I do this simple thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Firstly. Make sure your controller AND all your Sonos units are at software version 7.2 (Check About My Sonos)
If at the latest version then on iOS select Settings -- Room Settings -- Click Room name -- Then click room name again and you will have the option to edit the name.
Badge
Thanks. All components are on 7.2 but controller is on 7.0. The controller software cannot get updated (I have posted another question online about that). At this point, I guess I have to uninstall the controller software and reinstall it to see if that works. This is quite frustrating.
Can you have another controller that *is* on 7.2? You could use that one (on a phone, or tablet, perhaps) to make those changes, since the speakers are already on 7.2.