Question

Moving my Move from home to cottage is so hard

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve been a Sonos user for a number of years and have 2 systems, one at home and one in the country cottage. Everything works fine on both system. I get a Move to play outside by the deck at home and will bring it to the country cottage by the lake. Here is where my problems start.

i hook up the Move at home and all works as well as all my other Sonos speakers. Weekend comes around and we go to the cottage. So I initialize the Move to the Cottage Sonos system and all is good. After the weekend I bring back the Move to the house, and my home system can’t find the Move. I have to look for missing speaker, very cumbersome and time consuming. But maybe I missed something on the first try. All is good at home. So the next time at the cottage my system can’t find my Move, I have to go through it all the sit-up again. Come back at home and again it,  y home system will not find the Move. This has gone on for the past 3weekends and I’m dumbfounded. This has to be easier and not as time consuming. I went through the connecting to other wifi networks with the move and thought I was doing good but seems not.
Can anyone help me off this very frustrating problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @exit106 

The best solution for the long haul is to use the same network SSID and Passphrase at both locations. The Move will always assume it’s on the same network (wi-fi). Follow the instructions in the link to change the network SSID and Passphrase at one of your locations to match the other.  I recommend changing the cottage to match home. JMTC :relaxed:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Cheers!

exit106,

Are both your WiFi networks shown in the Sonos controller App under ‘Settings/System/Network’ they will be in either  ‘Networks/In Use‘ or ‘Networks/Other Networks‘ … if not add any missing wifi network using this process shown below:

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Option, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. 

I would also try the following when switching locations …

• Power off the Move by long pressing (5 seconds +) top rear power button before transporting it and
  • Fully close the mobile controller Sonos App (slide off screen) and open it again at the new destination.

Hope that fixes the issue for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’m still wondering about your solutions. My iPad sees two different wifi’s (1 for the home, 1 for the cottage) the Sonos app sees both and differentiates by creating two different locations. So why can’t Move see this? KG mentions the Sonos bulletin that says Sonos products can remember up to 16 wireless networks (which I thought I have), so there must be something I’m missing to make this happen. Any other comments to help my ignorance will help. Thx

Did you try powering off the ‘Move’ and ‘fully’ closing the App before arriving at the other location and then power-on and open the app?  Does that not work for you?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Well I thought I did, on the phone at least but forgot about the iPad. So know I got to try this on the next weekend at the cottage. Will let you now. Thx

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Again at the cottage, and the Move still does not show up on my Sonos app. Leaving the city I made sure the Move was powered off and my iOS Hardware were all powered off. At the cottage the Move and iOS were turned on. My iOS finds my cottage Sonos system but the Move is not showing up. I use the Sonos app to Find Missing Product, this is a long and arduous  task every time I change location. Onuce this process is complete my Move appears in my Sonos system and works well until in change location, then the process has to stay all over again. All this can’t be right.

Again at the cottage, and the Move still does not show up on my Sonos app. Leaving the city I made sure the Move was powered off and my iOS Hardware were all powered off. At the cottage the Move and iOS were turned on. My iOS finds my cottage Sonos system but the Move is not showing up. I use the Sonos app to Find Missing Product, this is a long and arduous  task every time I change location. Onuce this process is complete my Move appears in my Sonos system and works well until in change location, then the process has to stay all over again. All this can’t be right.

No it doesn’t ...and it’s not my experience with my Move, but that’s said, I’ve not tried this recently as we’re not travelling about very much here at the moment in the U.K. It sounds like a router or speaker  WiFi compatibility issue, but I would fire in a few diagnostic reports (before and after the connection problems) and post their references in this thread and then maybe contact the sonos customer care team via this LINK.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Back home, and again Sonos app can’t do anything with the Move, says it’s offline. So following KG advice, here is the diagnostic before attempting to add the Move to my home network « 1670633000 ». So then I go through the whole missing speaker mishmash and finally get the Move on my home network and this is the new diagnostic « 583569038 ». So hoping this helps in solving my very annoying Sonos Move problems.

thx for any other help I can get to resolve this issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Now I’ve discovered, that when I’m at home, my Sonos system detects that my Move exists on the system but it is offline. This is where I go Find Missing Product, and it reappears in my home system. When I arrive at the cottage with my Move, my iOS Sonos never sees my move, like it is not around it never appears in my system. I can’t add it to my system as Sonos can’t find it, but it will see it if I go Find Missing Product, and then all appears ok on my Sonos system until I go back home and I start the whole process again.

Again, I say that this can’t be right. I’m going through so much hassle to connect one little Sonos speaker to a system that has been working flawlessly for the past 4 years.

Still wondering what I’m doing wrong, and what needs to be done to make this problem go away.

thank you

You could either try a factory reset and maybe add the two networks again via the method below or perhaps contact Sonos Customer Care as suggested earlier. Anyhow see below information…

Resetting the Sonos Move

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos App

3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Well again this didn’t work, as I never get the message: 

• If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working

my Sonos app always hooks up so my system so I can’t Update Wi-Fi settings. Maybe this where the problem lies. How can I update my wifi settings?

Well again this didn’t work, as I never get the message: 

• If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working

my Sonos app always hooks up so my system so I can’t Update Wi-Fi settings. Maybe this where the problem lies. How can I update my wifi settings?

Are both router logins SSID’s/Password etc. completely different. They usually are.. and you add another network using the following:

3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I never see “can’t connect to Sonos”, both my home and the cottage show up in the Sonos app (each one at the proper location) so I seem stuck. Both location have their own specific networks with different names and passwords, and only the appropriate speakers show up on the Sonos app. Except naturally that Move speaker.

I never see “can’t connect to Sonos”, both my home and the cottage show up in the Sonos app (each one at the proper location) so I seem stuck. Both location have their own specific networks with different names and passwords, and only the appropriate speakers show up on the Sonos app. Except naturally that Move speaker.

Dunno then. I would maybe give sonos customer care a call and perhaps see what they can suggest, assuming you have tried the reset procedure mentioned earlier.

I have tested my Move by switching between my home router 5ghz signal and a Huawei MiFi 2.4ghz device and that is switching between both wireless connections okay.