Skip to main content
Answered

Move stereo pair of sonos move to a friends wifi temporarily?

• 9 February 2022
  • 5 replies

I’d like to take my pair of Sonos Moves to a friends house for a visit. What’s involved in hooking them up to a different wifi (while the rest of my sonos gear remains home) and then hooking them back up to my wifi when I get home?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I did this recently with the roam. I opened the app at the new location and it reported a network problem. There was an option to update network settings which I did and then it worked. 
when I returned home the roam seamlessly connected to the original wifi network and that was that. 
I believe it can store multiple networks. 

I would do these three steps…

1. Whilst still at your Home ‘A’, simply add a mobile Hotspot (WiFi = iPhone-Hotspot) to the Sonos setup via ‘Update Networks’ in the Sonos App Network settings.
  2. Then transport Sonos Move/Roam etc; to Home ‘B’. When there, first connect the Sonos controller device (an iPad for example) and the Move/Roam speakers to your mobile Hotspot (WiFi = iPhone-Hotspot)
  3. Next add the (now in range) Home ‘B’ WiFi to the setup via ‘Update Networks’ in the Sonos Controller App and all will then work on the new WiFi.

Note: that ‘post’ transfer to Home ‘B’ WiFi, you just switch off the mobile WiFi hotspot and then connect mobile controller (iPad) to the Home ‘B’ WiFi.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I did this recently with the roam. I opened the app at the new location and it reported a network problem. There was an option to update network settings which I did and then it worked. 
when I returned home the roam seamlessly connected to the original wifi network and that was that. 

Anybody else try this method? I am wary of disturbing the network connection of the stationary sonos devices, when updating my network settings. Also I do this (move to another network, temporarily) several times (to different networks each time) am I eventually going to overload the system? 

Anybody else try this method? I am wary of disturbing the network connection of the stationary sonos devices, when updating my network settings. Also I do this (move to another network, temporarily) several times (to different networks each time) am I eventually going to overload the system? 

You can store upto 16 networks on your Sonos portable devices.. I have several networks that I use. Each network is saved in the Sonos App ‘Network Settings’ (as shown in screenshot) and if you select any of them, you will see there is the option to remove the chosen network.