Answered

Microphones on Play 1?

• 8 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I have two play 1 speakers and just got a third delivered. I specifically went for this model because I have absolutely ZERO desire to have voice assistants listening throughout my house but when I opened up the latest box I was shocked to see that it is now equipped with google assistant. Can you confirm that there are no microphones in this speaker?
icon

Best answer by Chris 9 June 2019, 00:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Chris

It was perhaps the choice of words 'equipped with google assistant' in the OP's initial post that caused me to ask some further questions here. I presumed he was describing something he had seen/read as he opened the Play:1 packaging?
Great, that is good to hear. The instruction guide had changed since the last Play:1 I bought and this one was bragging about how it now has google assistant. Glad to know it isn't inherent to the device itself
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I under impression he saw a release talking about Google assistant compatibility being released and noticed his Play:1 on the list of Google Assistant compatible speakers (which of course it is compatible with - if you have a Google Assistant). Yet the Play:1 has no microphone and no actual Google Assistant built into it so doesn't even apply in his case where he doesn't have or want google assistant (then no problem - doesn't effect his Play:1).
bglais01,

What do you mean exactly by the term ... 'it is now equipped with google assistant'?

Where did you discover that information about the Play:1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 it is the Sonos One that has the microphones and has Alexa or Google. The microphones can be disabled via button on top if your paranoid about.

#2 The Play:1 does not have microphones and no assistant built in. If its a Play:1 you have then it has no microphones. It is still google assistant and amazon alexa compatible meaning if you have a google or alexa device it can control the Play:1 - not the play one being a controller device.

Paranoia may have the best of you here.