is there a better portable speaker than the Roam?

• 13 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is going to be a controversial post but I believe it needs to be discussed.. I have both the move and the roam and I love them both.  Every time I take a trip I beg myself to bring the move but I look at my backpack I have to carry on the airplane and the weight of the move and the roam always wins…

Then, I get to my hotel room and fire up the roam and start playing music and somehow I miss my speakers at home and wish I had taken the move.

Size is everything and I know there is only so much sound a small little lightweight speaker can provide.. so I ask the question, can any other speaker in the size footprint and price range of the roam deliver better sound? I come from the Bose world and replaced my soundlink 2 with the roam and it definitely sounds better than the Bose but still lacking for me…

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

My own choice is to use two Roam’s, either setup as a ‘group’ or stereo ‘pair’ and place them about 3 to 4 feet away out in front of me, on either side, so that I’m sat at the ‘sweet spot’. Two of them sound great and far better than a single standalone device - so my suggestion is to keep what you have and simply buy another.

I have found the Minirig to the best portable speaker I have heard. It also has very long battery charge life. What it does not have is wireless except a slightly flaky Bluetooth, but I use an old phone loaded with music, wire connected to it to serve even where there is no coverage. 

One can pair two, and even add a minirig subwoofer, but just the one is a fine way to listen to music when travelling.