Answered

Integrating the "Sonos One" with my existing setup

• 8 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Downstairs in my family room I recently put together the following system - Playbar attached to my TV, and two Sonos Play1s as surround sound speakers (I'll be adding the Sub shortly). I also have an Echo Dot in the Family room that I use to voice control the system, as well as other Alexa functions.

If I wanted to purchase the Sonos One (with Alexa built in) for my upstairs living room to use as a single speaker and another Alexa device, is it possible to have the same music playing throughout the whole house and have Alexa control it all by voice? Thank you.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 February 2018, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Yes. Group all the speakers using the Sonos app, then tell any of your Alexa devices to play to any room in the group and it will play to all.
Badge +1
Yes. Group all the speakers using the Sonos app, then tell any of your Alexa devices to play to any room in the group and it will play to all. Thank you. Can I also just play in only the Family Room and not in Living Room as well?
Yes, that's the way voice command works. You define the room you want it to play in. If that room happens to be grouped in the controller app, then all grouped rooms would play the same thing. If they're not grouped, only the room you defined in your voice command would play.
Badge +1
Yes, that's the way voice command works. You define the room you want it to play in. If that room happens to be grouped in the controller app, then all grouped rooms would play the same thing. If they're not grouped, only the room you defined in your voice command would play. So the one thing I'm still confused about is this: Sometimes I want both rooms grouped together (have all the music play upstairs and downstairs at the same time), and sometimes I just want it to play in one room by itself (for example, just play in my downstairs family room at night). Is this possible?
Sure. Just change the grouping in the controller app. It's a 3 click process (maybe 2? I don't group frequently). Hopefully at some point in the future, Sonos and Amazon will figure out a way to do that via voice command, but it's really not onerous using the controller app.
Badge +1
Sure. Just change the grouping in the controller app. It's a 3 click process (maybe 2? I don't group frequently). Hopefully at some point in the future, Sonos and Amazon will figure out a way to do that via voice command, but it's really not onerous using the controller app. Got it. Need to update on the Sonos app, I can't do it via voice. Thank you
jgatie's the one who really helped you. I just piled on. But you're most welcome, in any case 🙂
Just a note: In the future, it is hoped that we can include Sonos speakers in Alexa groups on the Alexa app. So we can put the dining room, living room and kitchen as "downstairs" and all the bedrooms as "Bedrooms", and all upstairs rooms as "upstairs". Then say "Alexa, play smooth jazz in the downstairs" and she will group the speakers and play.

This is how it works for Echo devices right now, but for 3rd party speakers we have to wait to see what comes in the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK due out soon.