I think my Sonos 5 just died - less than two years old!

I have a Sonos 5 that worked perfectly until this morning. It was dropped from my system and wouldn't reconnect. When I unplug it and plug it back in, the white light comes on very briefly and then goes dark. Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

When you re-plug the unit back in and the light goes off, please hit the PLAY/PAUSE button once and release- does the unit respond, do you see any lights?

Is this the only unit you have in the system? If it is NOT, please perform a factory reset on the device. Do not perform this test if this is the only speaker you have in your system
The unit doesn't respond when I hit play/pause. I also have a bridge and a sonos 3 in another room - which is working fine- as part of the same system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
The unit doesn't respond when I hit play/pause. I also have a bridge and a sonos 3 in another room - which is working fine- as part of the same system.
Hello,

Please perform a factory reset on the device. If the unit does not respond, please give us a call and we'll be able to assist you further with this unit. 
I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. one second it was fine the next it was utterly DEAD and have tried all steps as described above.
i then called Sonos Support local Spanish nbr and a rather bland person told me to try to hold mute and plug in (which I told him I already had done).. as nothing happened and no light turned on he came to the quick conclusion "the play 5 is Broken". Sonos does not repar so please contact the vendor..

The vendor was Amazon on 31 December 2013.. is it normal that these speakers only have a shelf life on 2 years?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. one second it was fine the next it was utterly DEAD and have tried all steps as described above.
i then called Sonos Support local Spanish nbr and a rather bland person told me to try to hold mute and plug in (which I told him I already had done).. as nothing happened and no light turned on he came to the quick conclusion "the play 5 is Broken". Sonos does not repar so please contact the vendor..

The vendor was Amazon on 31 December 2013.. is it normal that these speakers only have a shelf life on 2 years?

No. It would not be considered "Normal", especially when one considers the "bath" curve failure rate that electronics "suffer" from. Ie High failure rate at first use falling very quickly to a very low failure rate and staying very low until a certain number of hours when the failure rate will ramp up very quickly (It looks like a bath in section).

I suggest you contact Amazon as the European requirement is for 2 year warranty for electronic and electrical goods and you just might be able to get some joy from them.
Tks Stuart,

That is exactly what I did and amazingly I got a call on my mobile within 30 minutes from Amazon who told me they could not replace as since 2013 the price for the Play5 has doubled.??? but told me to ship it back to them (they pay the cost of post) and they would refund me in full.

Even more amazing the refund was back on my account 10 minutes later.

Now THAT is what I call Customer Service and that from at Third Party.
In mean time I now have 1 Play5 that works, and 2 Play3's and am slowly wondering if I really want to invest now into a new an VERY expensive Play5 or await the rest to die in the next few months and switch to another brand as it seems that Sonos After Care if not up to par.

Perhaps time to unpack the old HIFI and hook up the old Bose 901's again..

Peter
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be fair you purchased your Play 5 from Amazon so it is wth them that you had a contract. But I agree that their response has been very good.

My experience of Sonos support is very positive however and most posters on this board are also positive.

I wouldn't give up on Sonos so easily if I were you
Lets see..

So far Sonos Support is as dead as the Play5.
Sonos support is fantastic. As is Amazon's. I'm surprised they are taking it back after more than two years. Count your blessings and run with it... I've had Sonos gear since 2009 and only had to have one of the pieces replaced, and Sonos support took care of it with no problem. Everything else is running just fine since then. Yes, the new Play:5 is expensive, but I've given it a workout the past three weeks and it is worth every penny. So much so I just bought a second one.

Good luck.
As I say Lets see.

1 Play5 sounds rather weird when used to 2.. and Im not getting a new 2nd at this time.

In meantime my son just make his first aquaintance with my olld set up and Bose Speakers 901 and all he said was WOW!!!

Going back to cables
Buh bye.
My Play5 just died. I have 9 Sonos speakers throughout my house and, up until now, all have worked wonderfully well. This Play5 is absolutely dead! I have tried all the SUPPORT suggestions with nothing working. The speaker is dead! I take extremely good care of my things and this speaker has never been wet, dropped, no lightning nor power surges at the time (all speakers are connected to individual, high quality surge protection). This Play5 was just sitting in my living room and one day, recently, it stopped working. Now I have a very expensive paperweight. 😠
I'd highly recommend that you call in to them, and see what they can do. I've seen them be what I would consider to be extremely lenient in replacement help, based on what's been written in these boards. You can find their contact numbers at www.sonos.com/contact.