Answered

How can I tell if the Sonos Move battery needs to be replaced?

Userlevel 1

My Sonos Move won’t power on.  I’ve had it for about 18 months.  When I place it on the charger, the orange “I’m charging” light on the front of the speaker comes on for a few seconds, and then goes off.  No other lights come on, and it does not respond to any button.  I called Sonos support and they said that the would send me a new unit - I just had to fill out the email form they would send me.  However, the email form says that because it’s out of warrantee, they’re going to charge me about 80% of the cost of a new one,  So now, before I throw it in the garbage or salvage it for parts, I’m wondering if the battery is dead and needs to be replaced.  How can I tell if the battery needs to be replaced?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 March 2021, 10:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Did you notice the battery life getting shorter before the problem started?

Have you performed a factory reset of the Move?

Userlevel 1

Hello. I didn't notice the charge time getting shorter, but I seldom used it off the charging stand for more than 10 hours. I tried doing a factory reset, but the lights did not respond in any way.

Userlevel 7

If you haven’t noticed any decline in battery performance and you’ve only had the Move for 18 months, more than likely the problem isn’t the battery.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for that common sense advice, but does anyone actually know how the Move would behave if the battery died?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Are they offering a replacement battery or a replacement unit? Surely if the battery is good for 900 cycles then there should be no need to pay for a new one after 18 months? 

I do wonder if the claim it does no harm to leave constantly in the charger dock will stand the test of time. If a dead battery renders the unit unusable then £79 a pop for a replacement is a good scam for getting repeat income! 

I can see a class action in the making. 

Userlevel 1

Hello.  I did leave it on the charger all the time, except when I was using it somewhere else for an hour or two.  The support guy said they’d replace the whole speaker, but then when I filled out the form he emailed me, I saw that they wanted to charge me 80% of the original price - so they’re really just selling me a new one.  Although it sounds great, $500 is too much money for something that doesn’t even last two years.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

What are the consumer laws like in your country? In the UK, it would be reasonable to argue that an 18 month working life for an item of that cost was inadequate, and the supplier would be required to replace or repair it at no cost to you.

However, consumer laws like this vary a lot from country to country, and in our case you would have to enforce your consumer rights against the company that sold the item, and not the company that manufactured it (though in this case the two may be the same, as Sonos sell direct to the public).

Userlevel 1

Hi Antifon.  I’m in Canada, and I’m not sure what sort of legal/consumer recourse I might have.  Although I guess it might come to some sort of action to get compensation from Sonos, right now I’d be more interested in figuring out if the battery has worn out.  I wonder if I’m one of the first of a flood of failed Move batteries to come.

Is anyone from Sonos monitoring this community forum?  If so, can someone tell me how I can test the battery in my Sonos Move?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mark's Unique User Name 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please remove the battery from your Move completely and make sure the metal contacts are, well, contacting. We have a Move owner in the “office”  who has needed to remove and replace the battery to get it to turn on. 

Please also consider this: https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/replacement-battery.html

If it doesn’t work, you can always return it for a full refund, then look to options for the Move itself. Personally, I think it would be worth getting back in touch with technical support and stating your case first. 18 months seems a bit too short for the lifespan of a product, but I am from the UK, like @Antifon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If you purchased the Move with a credit card, check your policy — they often double the manufacture’s warranty.

Userlevel 1

Thank you Corry P, it worked!  I used a guitar pick to lift up the long rubber strip on the bottom of the speaker, removed the two bolts with an Allan wrench, and removed the battery.  Then I reseated the battery, and the speaker came on.  So, it was just a loose contact.