Feature Request: Group rooms with alarm

• 8 January 2015
  • 62 replies

Userlevel 3
It would be great to see alarms play on pre-grouped rooms, but not using the "Include in grouped rooms" setting as I am likely to change grouping throughout the day, and so when the alarm goes off it doesn't work for me, that it plays on the my previous days groups.

It is also not ideal to set several alarms playing the same source (in my case TuneIn radio), as it is massively out of sync.

I think this would be a huge benefit as did your engineer when I spoke to them earlier.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Sad to see there's been no fix / feature added for version 8.0 released the other day
Just to add to this growing thread: the ability to set an alarm to activate different speakers in different rooms at the same time (and importantly to ensure everything remains in sync) would be excellent!

Like others, I’ve spent ages trawling through posts/internet and the Sonos app screens to try to find a solution but no joy. It definitely needs a bit of Sonos development to fix but I’m not sure why this hasn’t ever been done before... can someone from sonos dev team just explain why it’s so difficult to achieve? Obviously other stuff is still taking priority in the roadmap and if you can provide a short explanation as to why it’s not available today - just to help us understand the challenges! - it would really help ease people’s frustration.

For me anyway, I’d love to see this feature available soon!

Thanks!
Agree. I really want this feature. Hate it when you can vaguely hear downstairs playing the same radio station but 1-2 secs out of sync. Must be an easy fix to set a group alarm. The request is an old one so why so slow to sort it out? Got my alexa version today which is great.
Userlevel 1
It would be great to see alarms play on pre-grouped rooms, but not using the "Include in grouped rooms" setting as I am likely to change grouping throughout the day, and so when the alarm goes off it doesn't work for me, that it plays on the my previous days groups.

It is also not ideal to set several alarms playing the same source (in my case TuneIn radio), as it is massively out of sync.

I think this would be a huge benefit as did your engineer when I spoke to them earlier.

Thanks.

AS A SONOS FAN I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS FEATURE IS MISSING. why?

- it is a pain EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!! this creates bad memories - with a stunnung product
- it seems to be just a little software detail.
Badge +1
phil,
I know this does not help much but I did get it working once . Eg alarm playing on two speakers (not part of a stereo pair). However it was a few sonos patches ago and never got it working since . I had assumed it was a just a bug in the Patch that stopped it working but still not possible now .
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
It sepems strange to me, in many years the only upgrade to alarm functionality is snooze with version 8.2.
With this timeline we will have a new improvement for alarm in 2020 or so.

I am still waiting for improvements in volume granularity and fade in out times for sleep and wake up.
Every time there’s an update to the SONOS App I check in hopeful anticipation that this has been fixed..... but.... alas, no, the radio station I have set as my morning alarm is out of sync across three rooms and I have to manually group the rooms in order to not hear 3 different broadcasts. Very frustrating and as people have said before, surely an easy fix.
Badge
+1 from me too. Much better alarm configuration would be really welcome.
Badge
An alarm action to join and existing playing unit or group would also be good.
Userlevel 1
sonos please implement this!!! geouped alarms!
C’mon Sonos, let us check more than one single room in alarms.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Me too! My dog likes to listen to Radio 4 (he's a very discerning listener) in the kitchen where he sleeps at night. However, along with the rest of the household he does like to wake up to Chris Evans Radio 2 show but this isn't possible at the moment without manual intervention in the morning. Current choice is to set a separate alarm for him which would put his speaker out of sync with the other two that are grouped. Not the end of the world but would be great to set groups for alarms. Quality, ill have to try this for my dog 😃
+1 for this feature. Does the lack of an official response indicate that this long requested feature will never be implemented?
No, I wouldn't think so. I'd expect it's been mentioned before, and the request has been passed on to the development team, for them to figure out where it might fit on the backlog of requests.
Userlevel 1
Yes Sonos please do that...multi room possibility in alarm clocks. Can't believe this is not possible
Just adding my voice to make this capability possible - if not at least some type of official response or position from Sonos should be possible for your loyal customers - instead nothing at all. Is this a smart business decision? Is there anyone at home???
+1 on this feature, it should't be a difficult thing to implement. There's already the ability to group rooms, so doesn't make any sense why this can't be achieve with alarm. Fingers crossed the good folks at Sonos is working on this
Hi Dev Team, this request has been put up since 3 years ago. And 3 years we’ve been suffering having to keep grouping the speakers before bedtime, so we don’t wake up to annoying out-of-sync alarms. 😞
+1
Sonos, please add this feature!!!
+1.. please work on this.. it's been two years since this request. I'm obviously a Sonos fan, hence the time dedicated writing this request. However, my experience, even as a long time Beta Tester, is that Sonos does not listen to its customers. Prove me wrong please
Along with many others a Group option for Sonos alarm would be most welcome. I have alarms set on three rooms at staggered times. The delay between rooms as one after the other comes on is so frustrating. Please can we have a fix for this

Thanks.
+1 Wow I thought it was just me not understanding my system by not having the grouped alarm. I do have one query with regards to volume levels on each speaker when the alarm goes on. For example I do not want my Play one in my bedroom to be super loud when the alarm goes off, but I would like my Kitchen to be louder without having to manually increase volume. Any suggestions ?
I am really surprised that a multi room system does not support alarm groups 😠. What do developers do all day?
I saw that another topic asking about the same question has been closed without an official answer
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/alarms-vs-grouping-6769491

But does the option to group players in the alarm setting, or use pre-configured group of players will be added one day ?
I saw that another topic asking about the same question has been closed without an official answer
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/alarms-vs-grouping-6769491

But does the option to group players in the alarm setting, or use pre-configured group of players will be added one day ?

No new updates to share about this topic, but I felt it's important to shed some light on this.

That topic was closed because it was originally a Troubleshooting thread, not a feature request. Feedback is much more effective and actionable when it's able to be found in one central location/topic. Thanks for keeping the conversation going, the team is always working to continually make improvements to Sonos and that begins with hearing from our users.