Dropouts while using AirPlay

• 13 December 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hello community!

I have just purchased my very first Sonos product, a Move. Sadly my first impression is far from as good as I had hoped. The unit is set up and functional, however, I experience frequent dropouts when streaming to the speaker over AirPlay.

By dropouts I mean short interruptions in the playback. Aside from these dropouts I have also experienced the audio completely stopping, even if the medium from which its being sourced, say Spotify, is still playing. These problems occur regardless of source. Tried with two different iPhone models (X and XS) and via Apple TV, with all devices being up to date.

Today I tested streaming to my Apple TV, choosing my TV for video while choosing the Sonos Move for audio playback. The video signal was seamless, while the audio dropped out. I then switched to the TV’s built-in speakers and the problem disappeared.  

Even if I have a steady WiFi connection I have tried moving the speaker around to exclude disturbances in the network. Unfortunately without any improvement.

I suppose this issue has come forward before. Feel free to link any thread I may have missed.

Kindly,

JP

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @JP86.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

That’s odd since theirs a lot of audio dropouts looks like might have to do with wifi interference but not 100% sure.

Are you also having the same issue when using the Sonos application?

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

During this first experience with the Sonos application I have noticed some of the services I use are not available to me. Therefore the AirPlay function is more suited for my use. 

Both the Sonos app and AirPlay use the speaker’s WiFi connection, don’t they?

Could you possibly give me a checklist on what steps I can follow to isolate the issue?

Kindly,

JP

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @JP86.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Both the Sonos app and AirPlay use the speaker’s WiFi connection, don’t they? - Yes

For the airplay, are there multiple devices that are also using the airplay at the same time you're using the Sonos move?

I’ve encountered before some customers tried to turn off the airplay feature to other devices and just turn on the airplay in the move.

And for you to maximize the full capacity of your Sonos app kindly follow this basic troubleshooting for wifi interference.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.