Answered

Does the Sonos Roam swim?

• 20 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

I want to use the Sonos Roam on a sailing boat.

Just in case it falls over board - does float?

icon

Best answer by James L. 20 April 2021, 11:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Alpengroove,

Roam will not float in water, so I’d be very careful about dropping it in the ocean :smile:

Userlevel 2

:thumbsup_tone1:

Badge +1

Doh - I’ve bought one for the same purpose…. time for a custom floatation device :)

Doh - I’ve bought one for the same purpose…. time for a custom floatation device :)

A floating drink holder, like this, would work, but surely would negatively impact sound quality.   Probably need some styrofoam rings you can place on the ends...sort of like a kid wearing floaties.

I wonder if you could put the Roam in a small mesh bag without negatively impact audio quality or trueplay.  If so, they you could attach a small floatation device to the cord.  Might also be convenient to hang the Roam on a wall.

Badge +1

Ours arrived, very impressed, wish it had been released before the move. far more suitable for the boat and less picky about charger output. We got the overpriced mag charger too, worth it. I am wondering about getting a second to pair and have stereo sound. I know they won’t pair on BT but i am thinking of adding both to the iphone personal hotspot wifi and seeing if that will work. 

They are a lot smaller than i expected, for use on deck i was wondering about a ram-mount with the adjustable clamp for a small tablet to suction to the GRP somewhere. Beats having to worry about MOB drills to recover the little fella!

The key thing to remember is that if you connect them to a hotspot on a phone, you can not use the Sonos controller on that hotspot to run the speakers. It has to be a separate device, connected to the same hotspot.

Mine got wet by the pool and no longer works. Not even water resistant.

I would look into warranty on that case, as it should easily hold up to some splashing.  I’ve seen vids of it submerged under water for a minute or two and work just fine.