Question

Cutting out while on BOOST?

• 24 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Before I installed the BOOST I had no cut out on the Orbi Wifi. Now that BOOST is installed I get cut outs every other song consistently. What can be done?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What channel is your Orbi on? What WiFi channel is your Sonos on.

How many Sonos speakers do you have and how far away from each other are they.
Badge +1
How do I tell the channels?

BOOST and the 2 speakers are on WM:0

I have a BOOST in the basement right next to the Orbi Router. I have a Play:5 on the 1st floor right above the BOOST and about 20 feet from the 1st Orbi Satellite. I have a Plan One on the 2nd floor about 6 feet from the 2nd Orbi Satellite.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the MW:0 that means they are connected properly via boost.

#1 - keep the boost about a foot from the Orbi (as long as ethernet cord allows you). You don't want them right on top of each other.

#2 - to see the Sonosnet channel go to Sonos app settings...advanced.... you will see option for channel number. To get the Orbi channel number you need to go into Orbi wirless settings. Only use channels 1, 6, and 11. Have your boost on one and Orbi on the other.

#3 - depending on your usage and how crowded wifi is around your neighborhood. You may actually be better off with wifi only and no boost (the Orbi system has a good amount of bandwidth and it has its own mesh network).

#4 - as an FYI. I have Orbi and I still do use Sonosnet. I like keeping music bandwidth off my main router. But my situation may not be exactly the same as your depending on if you have a lot of neighbors really filling up the wifi channel spectrum. Just wanted to mention that Sonosnet and Orbi do play well together (I have my Sonosnet on Channel 1 and Orbi on channel 11). I always like to use a wifi sniffer app to see which channels around me are getting the least interference from neighbors.
Badge +1
Good info. Thanks, Let me do some checking.
Hi Darryl

In case it helps, I was trying to figure out why I was getting significant controller lag (even adjusting volume was a real pain) and frequent dropouts. My setup was a boost connected to the orbi router, 5 speakers through the house, and a single orbi satellite.

Switching to a completely wireless setup has solved all my problems. The boost is unplugged and in a box, where it will stay. Perhaps the orbi provides a better connection than the boost (I'm guessing, I don't understand this stuff really), but this has worked for me.