Answered

Connect:Amp to non Sonos speakers?

I recently moved into a house with an 11 room Sonos set up. The old owners left all the equipment except for 1 room, the living room, which would be the 12th room in the set up.

In that room, there are two Connect:Amps. One is for the speakers outside by the pool, the other is for that living room.

However, there are no more Sonos speakers in that room. So my question is, could I set up an older Pioneer system to that Connect:Amp without having to spend upwards of 1,000 bucks to properly outfit the room?
icon

Best answer by airforceteacher 27 June 2019, 17:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The Connect Amp needs speakers of the kind Sonos does not make - unamplified and therefore passive speakers. One pair for each amp. Are those missing?
Didn’t mean to click the answer button...but the only thing left in that room was the Connect:Amp.
If you want music from those amps, you will have to buy passive speaker pairs; outdoor weather proof ones for the poolside, and run speaker wires to both pairs.
The outdoor pool speakers are still there and work fine. So I guess my next question is, are those pioneer speakers I have “passive?” They need speaker wire to be hooked up to its original power unit.
The outdoor pool speakers are still there and work fine. So I guess my next question is, are those pioneer speakers I have “passive?” They need speaker wire to be hooked up to its original power unit.

If there are speaker wires hooked up, they are passive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
If you're doubtful, take a picture of the back of the speakers with the connectors and post it here to be sure.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If it looks like either of these, they're passive speakers and you just need a pair of wires from the Connect:Amp to each speaker.
It’s the top one. Thank you very much!
Userlevel 2
OK I have a red and white RCA cable coming from my installed speakers.... Can I connect these to the AMP? If I open the cables will there be cable pairs for each Left and Right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
OK I have a red and white RCA cable coming from my installed speakers.... Can I connect these to the AMP? If I open the cables will there be cable pairs for each Left and Right?

Hi there,

RCA cables typically come from powered speakers. You'd want to use a Sonos Connect because it has RCA audio outputs. You'd connect the RCA cable to the audio outputs on the Connect, and then you could send Sonos audio to your powered speakers.

The Connect:Amp is a bit different, they use speaker cables to send audio to unpowered speakers. The Connect:Amp does not have an RCA audio output.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Choc,

Do your speaker have both RCA cables and a power cable? Some older, usually cheaper, passive speakers also have red and white RCA cables attached instead of speaker posts as pictured above. They'd usually be bundled with a stereo player/receiver that had RCA jacks instead of binding posts. To use them with a Connect:Amp you'd need to cut off the RCA plugs and strip the wires. If you don't want to do that, you can probably get cables with RCA plugs on one end and a pair of bare wires at the other end.

If you want to take a picture of your speakers and post, we can help.