Question

Cleaning my Play:3 Speaker

• 20 June 2017
  • 5 replies

I accidentally got lotion on the front of my speaker, and the outline of the lotion is still there and its really bothering me. Fortunately it hasn't impacted the sound of the speaker. But I was wondering if anyone knew how i can clean off the outline of where the lotion fell?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Given the oils that tend to be in lotions, I can't think of a lot. Perhaps google "cleaning lotion from cloth"? I'd be hesitant to do much that try to lightly rub it with a moist sponge, with perhaps a little (and I mean really a little!) bit of soap on it. But super lightly. But I'd be afraid that it would just spread it around some.
Just got up to look at my Play:3s. That's metal, not cloth, so I'd be less worried about applying a damp sponge with some sort of soap on it. Just don't get any additional moisture inside the speaker grill, stick with a moist, and not wet, sponge. Or towel, or paper towel.
Thanks I'll try this out!
Just a thought, but I've seen it where stuff like lotion will harden and get in the holes of the metal grill. Wiping it with something damp typically doesn't get into those holes. For that case, I've been able to stick a needle (carefully, and not very deep) in the holes of the grill to knock that stuff off. The downside is that some of the stuff will get pushed inside the grill which could cause problems I would think.
I clean up a lot of classic stereo gear from thrifts as a hobby. Nothing works better than a soft bristle toothbrush. Isopropyl alcohol, if needed, which will evaporate quickly, will help with oily films.