Whole Home Connected

• 1 January 2022
  • 5 replies

We just bought a house.  We have an arc, move and multiple ones through the house that work great with the sonos app (I use apple music through the app to play music).  We have an outdoor area that has mulitple speakers that came with the house and a receiver that’s super old (no blue tooth, etc).  We can turn on the reciever and play radio stations through the outdoor speakers, they work! :-)  If we want to leverage the existing outdoor speakers - can we buy a sonos reciever - Port or Amp? and use that to connect the non-sonos speakers?  The receiver today is outdoors under a tiki roof -- not protected super well from elements. 

1. if we spend the money for the port or amp - will it allow to control/coordiante all speakers/sound? 
  2. Is there a cheaper option to accomplish full connection with a unit that is less expensive since it will be outside? 

Thanks!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

How many speakers are outside? What model receiver do you have? Can you post a photo of the back of the receiver?

5 but may add a few more - kicker, polk, bose

receiver is really old - sherwood - plan to replace

Userlevel 7

If you plan on replacing the receiver, you can connect up to four 8 ohm speakers to one Sonos Amp. So you would need to get two Amps to connect your existing speakers and allow you to add a few more. You just need to find a place where you could store the Amps away from the elements and extreme temperatures.

If you plan on keeping the receiver or getting a new receiver, you can connect a Sonos Port to one of the Audio In ports on the receiver. This would add your outdoor speakers to your Sonos ecosystem.

all our indoor sonos speakers are already connected - via arc, right? so would I really need another amp for those or does the arc play the same role?  I was hoping i just need a solution to add in the outdoor speakers to be app-controlled.  

weather-proofing may provide a challege b/c the wired speakers all converge under the tiki roof today, so if i try to move the unit - amp, port or other reciever, I’m not sure how to get the wires indoor to the unit.  We could probaly build a bit more of a shelter or protection for the unit in the tiki roof.  I’d rather have a less expensive unit left outside, but if that’s the best way to connect everything - I guess we’ll take the chance.

Userlevel 7

The Amps would connect to and power your existing outdoor speakers. Or you could just connect a Port to your existing receiver or new receiver.