Answered

Which Sonos product to use in a cinewall?

• 15 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello Expert,

I had a 10 year old tv which I already replaced with a 164cm QLED.

Now i have to replace sound bar.  The old one is not worth mentioning. 

The room is 520 cm * around 500 cm (door on one side and kitchen at the other).

My main problem is that the plan agreed with our bouwer does not have much space around the speaker compartment.  The plan may not make sense, hence sending a photo of what we started with.

My friend suggested Sonos Arc.  I took some test in mediamarkt and like them as well. But the problem is that I am not sure how much space is needs above, below and on the side to give the Atmos affect.

Renegotiating the agreed design with the builder is almost a deal breaker in Netherlands. And the again i might have to order the steenstrips etc, which may infinitely delay the project.

Should I go for Arc or a lower variant? Or can someone suggest minor adjustment in the design that can help.

Thanks a lot in advance

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 October 2022, 00:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The fact the Arc would be in such a small enclosed recess would mean both it’s upward and side-firing speakers would be restricted and so in that state your audio output would be ruined. I did think about suggesting a sliding-out shelf from the recess, but then there is the fire below which I assume might create a heat issue.

I guess a Beam gen2 is one possibility, but might be small for the room/TV/recess and so that just leaves the Sonos Amp with two floor standers etc; but you are then left with an empty recess, which looks like it was designed for a soundbar - so, whilst there are some options, I’m not sure there is an easy answer to solve your TV HT audio issue. Perhaps others here might be able to suggest something to assist you, but if it is the Sonos Arc you’re looking to get, you will probably need to redesign that wall, me thinks🤔?

I don’t know how much heat the fireplace sends up the wall. One possibility would be a pull out shelf for the ARC.. Another possibility would be to mount the TV on a pull out bracket and attach ARC under the TV. While viewing, you would pull the TV out such that ARC is in front of the wall. The nag with this approach might be visible suspension brackets because ARC should be vertically separated from the TV by four inches. With some creativity, you could camouflage the suspension. If ARC is mounded in front of the TV, no vertical separation is required. In any case you need to mount ARC in front of the wall while operating.

A completely radical approach would be to find a couple long, narrow, attractive speakers, mount them in the alcoves beside the TV and use AMP. This would not, however, support ATMOS.

So the electric fireplace has an option to swich off the heating and use the LED only function just for decoration. This is how we actually plan to use it.

With a 14 month old we anyways cant have anything  that warm so low.

Thanks for both you suggestions.  Some kind of pull out thingy should do the trick.  I saw a few pull out brackets setups on YouTube just now.  Will try to see what I can find here in Europe.  If either of you have any suggestions, please let me know.