Answered

which setup should I get

Badge +3
I'm considering getting a sonos setup for the kitchen, living room (tv), bedroom and study. I don't need it to be the loudest as I don't want to annoy the neighbours.

What would you guys recommend for the following:
Kitchen: 2x play 1s? or 1x play 3
Living room (tv): playbase or play 3 & 2x play 1?
Bedroom & study: 1x play 1 or 2 in each room?

thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by jdag 2 May 2017, 03:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Not sure you provided enough information to get useful advice. Assuming you want voice control when released...

Kitchen: Do you need it to sync with the other rooms?
Yes= Amazon Echo Dot + Play1
No= Amazon Echo Knight (likely availability in June... can still control Sonos gear in other rooms once integration is released)

Living Room: Do you want video sound integrated?
Yes= HDMI soundbar with regular audio input jack or AV receiver + Sonos Connect + Amazon Echo Dot
No= 2 x Play1 + Sub + Amazon Echo Dot

Study: 2 x Play1 + Amazon Echo Dot

Bedroom: Do you need it to sync with other rooms?
Yes= Play1 + Amazon Echo Dot (could go 2 x Play1 depending on room configuration and time spent listening in there)
No= Amazon Echo (Can still control Sonos gear in other rooms once integration is released)

If you provide more details on your requirements you will likely get better targeted suggestions.
Badge +1
Since there's little in the way of bulk discounts available on Sonos, I'd say you should start out with 1x Play:1 and try it out in the kitchen, bedroom and study. It's a mighty little speaker on it's own, so you could save some money.

Also, don't rush and get the Echo Dots until the Sonos integration is released.

Unless money is no object, but then you'd have said Play:5s and would be looking at a stereo setup in each room and Playbase/bar with two surround Play:5s in the living room... just because you can 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Kitchen: 2x play 1s

Living room (tv): playbase (or Playbar, the Play:1 and Play:3 speakers can only be used as surrounds for TV purposes)

Bedroom & study: 2 in each room if possible (although you can always start with 1/room and grow into the stereo pair)
Badge +3
thanks guys, I'm not really fussed about voice control. Not planning on getting alexa/google home anytime soon.

I would ideally like it to sync with other rooms

The speaker(s) in the living room will be mainly used for TV but also music at times
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Syncing is Sonos' strong suit, so you are good there.

As for using speakers in w/the TV, just get the Playbar or Playbase and forget "cobbling together" any other setup. That will only lead to frustration.
Badge +3
thanks, that makes sense
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I'm considering getting a sonos setup for the kitchen, living room (tv), bedroom and study. I don't need it to be the loudest as I don't want to annoy the neighbours.

What would you guys recommend for the following:
Kitchen: 2x play 1s? or 1x play 3
Living room (tv): playbase or play 3 & 2x play 1?
Bedroom & study: 1x play 1 or 2 in each room?

thanks in advance

I would:

Kitchen= 2x play1
Living room= playbase or playbar, 2x play1 and sub
bedroom= 1 or 2x play 1 depending on how big the room is
study= same as bedroom

Kris 🙂