What should I buy to set up multi room wireless

Badge

We have about 5 rooms (including an outside deck) where we want to install wireless speakers. Where do I start? What do I need to buy?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you be more specific about the type of rooms (living room, kitchen, bedroom, etc.)?

Badge

Living room, den, kitchen, deck, office, bedroom

Userlevel 7

Living room: Sonos Arc and Sub (optional 2 One SLs as surrounds)

Den: Pair of Sonos Fives or a pair of Sonos Ones

Kitchen: Sonos One or One SL or Move

Deck: 2 Sonos Architectural by Sonance outdoor speakers powered by a Sonos Amp

Office: Sonos Five or a pair of Sonos Ones

Bedroom: if you have a TV - Sonos Beam or Arc with Sonos Sub / No TV - Sonos Five

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Living room, den, kitchen, deck, office, bedroom

Thank you. All of these depend on type of use, size, budget, amount of use as the options & decision varies.

Living Room: Size of Room? Home Theater or Music only? Does your tv have Arc or is it newer to use eArc? Is this your main tv room? If you are looking for Home Theater then you could go with Beam or Arc and make it a full home theater with One SLs with a Sub. If it’s just music then probably one or a pair of Fives, unless you have existing speakers that you want to use.

Office, Bedroom, Den, Kitchen: Again you can run the gamut from 1-One, 2-Ones, 1-Five or even 2-Fives. You can even incorporate Moves depending on those questions above and deck plan below.

Deck: If you don’t want to wire outdoor speakers then your best bet would be a Move (or two) from one or two of the other rooms. 

Here’s my setup (not flexing, just trying to give you an idea): 

Living Room (Great room for me): Playbar with 2-Play 1s (older tv, best system when I installed it, as my 42” tv has no Arc or eArc. Very limited use for tv with light use for music.

Den/Office (same for me): 2 Play 1s-smaller room but in there a lot so I wanted the depth. In there 3 to 4 hours a day.

Kitchen: 2 Play 1s & Move. Larger kitchen and the way it’s set up it makes sense to have the speakers layed out at table, cooking area with the Move at the counter. Plus I will take Move out on the deck and garage, etc. It’s easy to grab. We are in here a lot as well. Used to have an old Play 5 but that didn’t seem to have enough for the room because of placement issues.

Bedroom(Main): We have an Arc tv where we watch a lot of tv so Beam with 2-Play 1s and no Sub.

Deck: We have an old Connect: Amp with 2 regular outdoor speakers that’s on S1 and is a pain in the A** as we typically have people over and like to sync with Kitchen (as the deck door is off the kitchen). Often we will just bring the Move outside or just run different stations on each. We use the deck a ton during spring/summer/fall (we are in WI) so I am in the process of converting that to a new Amp for use with the existing speakers so I can get it on S2.

Hope that helps or maybe it just confuses. Again, answering the few questions above will go a long way to making the decision for you.

Badge

Thanks! Would I be able to play the same audio on all speakers at the same time? Could I choose different audio in different rooms? Would there be a single amp sending to all these speakers? Forgive the newbie questions, but I don’t know a thing about Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Thanks! Would I be able to play the same audio on all speakers at the same time? Could I choose different audio in different rooms? Would there be a single amp sending to all these speakers? Forgive the newbie questions, but I don’t know a thing about Sonos.

No worries, I have a Sonos addiction so happy to help. Yes you can pick and choose where you would like to have certain music play. You can group, ungroup etc.. as you wish with multiple different music services etc. You can have a whole house function where it will play the same thing everywhere as well. All of these products are independent so there is not single Amp unless you are using your own non-Sonos speakers for like outside or in one of the rooms. 

Badge

Jeffrey_35 The den is actually the TV room, about 10x10 and where we’d like the main amp/receiver/cd/phono to be, living room and kitchen are together in a large open space, probably about 20x30, bedroom is about 20x20 (no tv), office is about 15x15. The deck will be used a lot in the nice weather, not when the snow flies, and is off the living room/kitchen area.

Userlevel 7

Jeffrey_35 The den is actually the TV room, about 10x10 and where we’d like the main amp/receiver/cd/phono to be, living room and kitchen are together in a large open space, probably about 20x30, bedroom is about 20x20 (no tv), office is about 15x15. The deck will be used a lot in the nice weather, not when the snow flies, and is off the living room/kitchen area.

Updated recommendations:

Living room: Pair of Sonos Fives (You could connect a turntable or CD player to the line-in port of the Sonos Fives)

Kitchen: Sonos One or One SL or Sonos Move

Den: Sonos Arc or Sonos Beam with Sonos Sub (optional One SLs as surrounds)

Deck: 2 or 4 Sonos Architectural by Sonance outdoor speakers powered by a Sonos Amp

Office: Sonos Five or a pair of Sonos Ones or One SLs

Bedroom: Sonos Five or a pair of Sonos Ones or One SLs

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Updated recommendations:

Living room: Pair of Sonos Fives (You could connect a turntable or CD player to the line-in port of the Sonos Fives). 

Kitchen: Sonos One or One SL or Sonos Move

Den: Sonos Arc or Sonos Beam with Sonos Sub (optional One SLs as surrounds)

Deck: 2 or 4 Sonos Architectural by Sonance outdoor speakers powered by a Sonos Amp

Office: Sonos Five or a pair of Sonos Ones or One SLs

Bedroom: Sonos Five or a pair of Sonos Ones or One SLs

My thoughts:

Living Room/Kitchen. I would agree w/ Guitar. Hopefully you could aim them towards the kitchen so you could cover both areas. Depending on layout, stands for them could be cool. In the Kitchen you could have a Move as additional or if you are only in the kitchen. You would also be able to just grab and go out on the deck. I don’t know if you would need the Ones. 

Den. I would go with the Beam for sure as that room is on the smaller side. The Sub would be a luxury add but the ones would be a nice addition. It’s personal preference if you want a heavier sound or more of a surround setting. If you have a large (>50” tv and has eArc) then you could go for the Arc. If you do, personally the Sub is a luxury add and the Ones wouldn’t be necessary as the Arc will just fill that room. This doesn’t help you with the phono/cd player If you truly want/need it in the den. If that’s the case you would want to look for a different solution because neither of these will do both. 

Deck. If you can wire then I would again agree with Guitar as that is your best option. If you can’t then you can use the Kitchen Move.

Office & Bedroom. Again 100% agree. It will just depend on preference between the Five or pair of Ones/One SLs whether you like better sound from 1-Five or more of a complete stereo experience from the Pair of Ones/SLs. Depending on layout as well where you can place them. 

Badge

GuitarSuperstar and Jeffrey_35

Thank you!

I really appreciate all you sage advice. Now, to do some research and shopping!

Shawn

Badge

Okay, another question. What amp(s) or other things do I need to make all this stuff work?

Userlevel 7

Okay, another question. What amp(s) or other things do I need to make all this stuff work?

Everything you need is listed on my recommendations above other than speaker wire to connect the outdoor speakers to the Sonos Amp and a wireless router to connect everything to your Wi-Fi network.

Badge

Great! No amp required.

I forgot to ask: Can I stream my music library files from my phone or a cloud service like Google or One Drive?

Userlevel 7

If you have an iOS device like an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you can play music from those devices using AirPlay. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

You can also set up the Sonos app to play music from your personal music library stored on a Mac, PC, or NAS drive. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

You could also upload your personal music library on YouTube Music and play your library either from the YouTube Music app or through the YouTube Music service on the Sonos app. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3259?language=en_US

Badge

That’s great. I store my music library on my computer and also on One Drive, so I should be able to access it with Sonos. Thanks again!

should you become tight on budget then you might also consider IKEA’s SYMFONISK - I use them for my office and bedroom - the sound quality is less than a SONOS ONE or ONE SL, but this is justified by the price tag (sells for about 119€)