Skip to main content
Question

what hardware would you recommend?

• 20 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I currently have the setup as in the below picture and am looking to replace the four Sonos units (Sonos currently work as I still have the March version of the iOS app and 16.2  - but I assume soon it won’t work anymore). What can you recommend (I want an easy-to-use, no nonsense app)?

Any other thoughts about my setup (I am also planning to at some point replace the connection to my stage piano with a wired one - but at the moment something in the cat6-in-wall-wire isn’t working as it should).

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you’s halted  app updates as wel as firmware updates to the system, why would the system not work anymore? On what do you base this assumption?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Bose. 

Badge

If you’s halted  app updates as wel as firmware updates to the system, why would the system not work anymore? On what do you base this assumption?

As I’ve understood it staying on old firmware won’t work “forever” so I want to be prepared. After having read Andy Pennel’s post I have a feeling that my old hardware is too old to be able to cope with the amount of traffic that will be generated with the new Sonos setup - and I doubt they will sort this out anytime soon - considering it’s already 10 weeks since the disastrous release without it being fixed…

And I have completely lost faith in Sonos...

Badge

Bose. 

Bose was the alternative I was choosing between when I originally picked Sonos (about eight years ago). Are you using Bose? In that case, what do you like the most and what do you find most annoying with their system?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No I have a substantial number of Sonos products. I wish I had purchased another brand, my system had always been troublesome and fragile. Since the app update only a handful of my speaker will connect and stay connected. In essence I have some very expensive paperweights. 
I’d avoid Sonos like the plague.