Answered

Vinyl with play:1 and home cinema

• 9 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi !

I have 2 play:1 speakers. I would like to get a vinyl turntable and use those 2 speakers with it. How can I do so?

Also I would like to buy a home cinema speaker for small TV like the Beam. Can it be used also with the turntable?

icon

Best answer by John B 9 March 2021, 10:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi.  To add the turntable you really need a Sonos speaker with a line in.  The cheapest option is a Port, but that is not the Port’s primary purpose and it is a lot of money just to get a line in.  I always think a Sonos Five is a better-value choice because you get a great speaker as well as a line in.

The Beam isn’t really designed to take a turntable.  To do it you would need an an analog-to-digital converter and an optical switch.  The switch is needed to allow you to choose the TV or turntable as a source.  You could play the music to the Play:1s by grouping them with the Beam.  It isn’t perfect, but much cheaper than buying a Five or a Port, if you need a Beam anyway..