Answered

Upgrade Scenarios

• 17 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi all, I currently have Apple Music, a ZP80 (that is hooked up to a record player and a cd player) and two Play Ones and I wanted to know what I would have to upgrade to have the following things work:

- Being able to control Sonos from Apple Music (I can only control Sonos from my S1 app and that thing is awful.) Could I control Sonos from Apple Music if I had other equipment? If not, is the S2 controller a lot better than S1?

- Streaming lossless music from Apple Music to Sonos Speakers.

- Streaming high-res music from Apple Music to Sonos Speakers. It sounds like this would require some sort of extra DAC hardware and I am guessing new Sonos speakers that could handle hi-res audio (I am assuming the newer speakers do). It sounds like Apple Music requires you to have an external DAC to stream hi-res now. Is that the case with all of the other services out there?

Thanks so much for your help. You guys are great at getting me the answers I need.

-Clint

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 August 2021, 04:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Lots of ‘hidden’ parts of your questions, let’s deal with the whole thing one at a time.

1. There are no PLAY Ones. There are PLAY:1s and Sonos Ones. Both are capable of running S2, I have several of both types, running on S2
  2. The ZP80 might be the lynchpin in whether you could upgrade to S2, you would need to log in to your account on the Sonos website to see. I don’t have high hopes for you there, using the term ZP-80 rather than the later term CONNECT is a fair indicator that your device will not run S2…but that may no be an issue, as we delve further down your list.
  3. S2 is essentially, from a user perspective, exactly the same as S1. It has a couple extra features, but isn’t a major change from a UI perspective. If you are unhappy with S1, you’ll likely be unhappy with S2.
  4. The PLAY:1s and the ZP80 can not be targets of AirPlay 2, which means as it stands, you could not use Apple Music and ‘cast’ to your Sonos. However, if you were to update at least one device to a newer one (a Sonos One or pair, or the Sonos Port), you could then use that device to ‘cast’ to using AirPlay 2, and the group other devices with that using the Sonos controller to get the music playing on all devices.
  5. Sonos doesn’t do the Apple lossless stream currently. There are lots of threads to read about this, I’d suggest doing a search on the forums.
  6. Your external DAC and other streaming lossless questions would be answered by the threads I mentioned in 5.
Badge

Thanks, Bruce. I know there was a lot there!