Answered

Upgrade discounts, why 15%?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I'm confused over the upgrade discounts.

I knew when S2 was announced, those that were not compatible got the 30% upgrade and i have 2 of those. But i now also see a Connect Amp, another Connect that are the newer versions OK with S2, giving 15%off. Why is that?

Will the newer Connect Amps and Connect that are good for S2 now, somehow be no good for S2 in the future, and its Sonos way to try and get you off them now? Or can I be confident they will always be ok on S2 app?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 May 2021, 10:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Agree it’s puzzling.  Sonos seem to be encouraging people onto Hardware that has a certain memory size.  There is now a difference on S2 hardware functionality, Sound Swap for example maybe more will appear and the upgrade helps people if they need that function.  So it may not be a sign of a future S3 split.

Userlevel 7

I believe the upgrade program is less about S2 compatibility and more about newer models replacing older models. The Connect has been replaced by the Port and the Connect:Amp has been replaced by the Amp. Sonos is simply giving its loyal customers an incentive to upgrade so they can have the best audio experience Sonos currently has to offer. I wouldn’t look at it as a sign that certain Sonos products will soon lose their S2 compatibility.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I wouldn’t look at it as a sign that certain Sonos products will soon lose their S2 compatibility.

I hope you are right and I hope someone from SONOS on here could actually confirm and agree with that statement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @annascott 

@GuitarSuperstar is correct - all Sonos devices with a clear upgrade path to newer models earn a 15% discount voucher. So a Play:1 gets a discount, but a Sonos One doesn’t. A Playbar gets a discount, but a Beam doesn’t. This doesn’t indicate any impending loss of support.

I wouldn’t look at it as a sign that certain Sonos products will soon lose their S2 compatibility.

I hope you are right and I hope someone from SONOS on here could actually confirm and agree with that statement?

There isn’t the remotest chance of anyone from Sonos coming on here to do anything of the sort.  What they might do is restate Sonos’ commitment to support products fully for at least five years after the model is discontinued from sale.  But they don’t even need to do that now.

I agree with @GuitarSuperstar - it is just a sales incentive to a warm customer base, encouraging direct Sonos sales.  It doesn’t even reduce the number of older devices out there, as users will either continue to use the older devices, sell them or give them away.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @annascott 

@GuitarSuperstar is correct - all Sonos devices with a clear upgrade path to newer models earn a 15% discount voucher. So a Play:1 gets a discount, but a Sonos One doesn’t. A Playbar gets a discount, but a Beam doesn’t. This doesn’t indicate any impending loss of support.

Thanks Corry, feel better with that comment! “This doesn’t indicate any impending loss of support.”

Hi @annascott 

Hi @annascott 

Thanks Corry, feel better with that comment! “This doesn’t indicate any impending loss of support.”

If it did imply an imminent loss of support, Sonos would be on the verge of breaking a firm promise, with a disastrous loss of credibility.  I think you can be confident of 3+ years’ full support on all the products offered for the 15% discount, given their discontinuance dates.  Certainly not worth worrying about.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Corry P  Just another 2 questions.

1. If I activate an upgrade credit for a Play 5 Gen 1 for example, how long will the 30% stay in my account? Is it forever until I use it? As i saw a post that someone activated the credit, but the sold the device and their credit disappeared too. 
  2. If I buy a Set packaged (i.e. Arc, Sub, 2xOne SL), am i able to get mixed colours? i.e. Black Arc, Black Sub but White One SLs? I can’t seem to select it online, but maybe something can be done over the phone support?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @annascott 

1. If I activate an upgrade credit for a Play 5 Gen 1 for example, how long will the 30% stay in my account? Is it forever until I use it? As i saw a post that someone activated the credit, but the sold the device and their credit disappeared too. 

Forever. Within reason - if civilisation collapses, don’t hold your breath!

To be honest, this second part sounds like a misunderstanding to me (the customer probably didn’t activate the voucher before selling the speaker). The discount code is applied to your account upon activation and will stay there until used by you.

I would recommend you advertise the speaker as one that has had it’s discount code used, however, when you sell it. Also, please mention that it’s S1-compatible only.

1. If I buy a Set packaged (i.e. Arc, Sub, 2xOne SL), am i able to get mixed colours? i.e. Black Arc, Black Sub but White One SLs? I can’t seem to select it online, but maybe something can be done over the phone support?

Not in a set, no - the sets are pre-packaged. Of course, if you don’t buy a set, you won’t get the discount on all of it. I recommend calling sales - something may be able to be arranged. 

Happy shopping!

Edit: Sales will be able to do that for you, yes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @annascott 

Forever. Within reason - if civilisation collapses, don’t hold your breath!

To be honest, this second part sounds like a misunderstanding to me (the customer probably didn’t activate the voucher before selling the speaker). The discount code is applied to your account upon activation and will stay there until used by you.

I would recommend you advertise the speaker as one that has had it’s discount code used, however, when you sell it. Also, please mention that it’s S1-compatible only.

1. If I buy a Set packaged (i.e. Arc, Sub, 2xOne SL), am i able to get mixed colours? i.e. Black Arc, Black Sub but White One SLs? I can’t seem to select it online, but maybe something can be done over the phone support?

Not in a set, no - the sets are pre-packaged. Of course, if you don’t buy a set, you won’t get the discount on all of it. I recommend calling sales - something may be able to be arranged. 

Happy shopping!

Edit: Sales will be able to do that for you, yes.

Thanks Corry, much appreciated