Question

TV Audio Optical out to SONOS

• 11 December 2015
  • 6 replies

Is there any way to connect a TV optical audiio out to a Sonos system apart from a playbar ? i,e, is the Optical connection on a 'connect' out only rather than in ?
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Steve, welcome to the community.
No. The Sonos PLAYBAR is on the Sonos device that has an optical IN port. The Sonos CONNECT has an optical out port.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Is there any way to connect a TV optical audiio out to a Sonos system apart from a playbar ? i,e, is the Optical connection on a 'connect' out only rather than in ?
Thanks

As to the first question - yes. Just search for an optical to RCA or 3.5 line-in converter. Not sure what you mean in the 2nd question.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/41475167?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227029188699&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=62073392769&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=98726052969&veh=sem
Badge
That's a really poor solution to this... You have a $300+ Connect device, but you feed it an analog signal, that's converted from optical using a cheap poor quality DAC converter... it's absurd, just putting it out there.
Yeah I'm really confused. I'm considering a new TV soon, and some of them only have digital optical audio-out. If I want to plug into my Play:5 (I don't have a playbar), I guess I'd have to convert to analogue? SONOS is supposed to have really premium sound and so I'd expect there to be support for that. I see my Play:5 also has an ethernet port. If I don't use that on my router (i.e. run the speaker as a wireless hub) do you think I could connect via ethernet to my TV? Not sure if that can carry sound at all.

I understand that the ideal solution would be to buy a playbar/playbase, but I already have *plenty* of SONOS speakers, and after I drop some money on a new TV I won't be in the mood to drop $$$ on an extra speaker.
The lines in on Sonos units are very much incidental extras. Playbar and Playbase apart, these are wireless music speakers.

The Ethernet ports are network connections and cannot carry audio. An external DAC is possible but the line in has a 70ms lag so you may have lip sync issues

(In fact it is more accurate to say that the Sonos system has designed latency to allow perfect multiroom sync, but this only becomes noticeable with some uses of the line in)
I got the RCA box to convert the optic line from the smart tv to the analog line for my SONOS Play 5. It works with the cable "source" but not netflix or sling, so not with internet sites... so it looks like these digital sources aren't convertible using the RCA box....? So....do I just have to get a sound bar then?