TV audio and Sonos1

• 19 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Is there a device which will input tv audio and stream it somehow to my two Sonos1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, a playbar or playbase will do just that.
Many thanks for your reply, I'll consider those solutions - though they're over-kill for what I want. I was hoping there's a generic device which will take audio and stream it as a url. If I find anything I'll give details here - if not, I might have found a Raspberry Pi project.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not that Sonos produce. But you may find 3rd party apps that do similar
Though not designed for tv audio, a CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, or PLAY:5 all have audio inputs. Probably not the cheap solutions you're looking for, and they will have an audio delay.

Really, I don't think you're going to find a solution that is going to send an audio signal to the Sonos One without having audio lag behind the video. The lag is 'built in' to Sonos products when not used as part of a 5.1 setup (playbar or playbase) in order to properly buffer and playing music in sync in a multiroom environment.

So if you're going to a Pi project, you may want to see if you can also delay the corresponding video so that audio and video are in sync.
Thanks for that info. I think the audio lag is the problem with any off the shelf solution - as I've now found. Bit early for Christmas but perhaps a Playbase is the best option.

Thanks for the replies guys.