Answered

Turntable to Speaker via WiFi

• 24 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey All,#

I have Sonos-5 speaker and a Project Turntable with built-in pre-amp.

The speaker and turntable are on opposite sides of the room and was wondering what bit of Sonos kit do i need to send the sound to the speaker via wifi? 

Can I plug the turntable into the Sonos Amp or Connect and stream to the speaker and if yes which is better out of the two?

Cheers

icon

Best answer by John B 24 January 2021, 14:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Port or used Connect would indeed do the job, but as was said - overkill. Assuming it’s impossible/aesthetically repugnant to just run a very long cable, have you considered a Bluetooth transceiver pair, since it’s all in one room? Transmitter attached to turntable, receiver connected to the line in on the Five.

Thanks for getting back to me John,

Does the Port’ not send sound over to the speaker via Wi-Fi?

So Basically, Turntable into Port - Port to Sonos 5 Speaker via Wi-Fi?

Cheers

Jody

Yes it does. I am just pointing out that the Port is a ridiculously large amount of money to pay just to get a line in, as the line in is just a subsidiary feature of the Port.

I thought initially that you hoped to send audio direct from turntable but I think I misread your intention. 

Good point.££££:disappointed: .

Thanks again John.

Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Jody

Hi.

WiFi isn't an option as the turntable isn't WiFi enabled.

Unless you intend to use the Amp with a pair of passive speakers, it would be a waste of money. The Connect has been replaced by the Port.  You could try to pick up a gen 2 Connect second hand.

You might instead consider getting another Five to make a stereo pair if that works with the layout.