Thoughts on Sonos Sub

• 5 September 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
Can I have the opinions from those of you who have or have had experience of using the Sonos Sub with the new Beam and Play 1’s - separately i.e. not as a 5.1 set up (unfortunately i’m unable to use my Play 1’s as rear channels so i’m using the x2 Play 1’s for music and Beam for TV). Is the improvement it makes to the sound worth spending the £700 ish or should I leave alone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hi,

I think that the sub is totally worth it. It is an excellent device, and adds a great deal of depth to the sound. You really *feel* the LFE with the sub. Yes, it's expensive, but it really makes a big difference.
Badge +1
Thanks for your response. When you say you feel the LFE, does it vibrate the floor boards etc like a traditional sub would?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I have a concrete floor, so no floor boards to rattle. However, I feel the LFE in my body and the couch.

For example, I tried to watch Cloak and Dagger. The show has a very bass-heavy soundtrack. The LFE was so strong I had to turn on night mode to be able to watch the show comfortably!
Badge +1
? Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I find that the sub is excellent. Having said that, its flippin expensive!
Badge +1
Thanks neilandjan, it is expensive so i’ll probably wait until Black Friday if I get one.
Userlevel 7
Thanks neilandjan, it is expensive so i’ll probably wait until Black Friday if I get one.

Hi Arnis65

Good to know that you are considering the Sonos Sub. You won't be disappointed. I own two. As far as waiting for Black Friday I wouldn't count on seeing any huge discounts applied to the sub as a standalone unit. The most I've ever seen off-retail (brand new and no open box) is $50_USD. However, the $50 savings will get you a Sonos Boost at half-price which IMO is the best way to establish the SonosNet and mitigate Wi-Fi interference that in some environments plague a Sonos Standard mode setup. Good Luck!

Cheers!
Badge +1
Thanks for the advice ajtrek1 ?
Badge
Sonos is so frustrating! I listen to music on sat sun mornings with coffee, it is one of the only times I really get to listen to music any more well... it used to be. Now sonos has stolen that from me with there falsely advertised system. In the last 4 months it has worked and played music once and that was after resetting everything 3 times... what a joke. I am making it my mission to inform as many peaople as possible what a piece of crap the sonos brand is! Hopefully I can help some people avoid waiting as much money on this as I did. If you are thinking about buying sonos DONT it a waist of money and will only frustrate you! And yes I have spent hrs of my life trouble shooting with sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Ohnos, I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems. However, my personal experience is the *exact* opposite. I enjoy my Sonos very much. I happen to think they are an excellent brand (I am relatively new to Sonos; my first speaker was a Sonos ONE).

I understand you are bitter, but please be aware: your experience is just that -- your experience. You provided one data point; I provided another, so that people can make a fair decision.
Userlevel 7
Can I have the opinions from those of you who have or have had experience of using the Sonos Sub with the new Beam and Play 1’s - separately i.e. not as a 5.1 set up (unfortunately i’m unable to use my Play 1’s as rear channels so i’m using the x2 Play 1’s for music and Beam for TV). Is the improvement it makes to the sound worth spending the £700 ish or should I leave alone.

Hi Again

I overlooked this in my first response...are the Play 1's in the same room as the Beam? If so you can use the Play 1's for surround and music. After setting the Play 1's as surrounds go into the App for the room and set music play back for the surrounds to Full. When playing music you hear it through the Beam and the Play 1's but you can adjust the volume of the Beam and Play 1's independently via the App. The sub will then work for movies and music! You get a 2'fer!🆒

Cheers!