Sub directionality (or just go with a pair of Fives)

• 8 December 2021
  • 2 replies

I have done loads of reading and know the generic answers but noticed the hive mind is really good on more specific scenarios too. So….

My daughter kindly bought me the world’s most expensive present… Graceland on vinyl which has got me experimenting with a turntable and buying more albums that force me to sit and listen. 🤷 😍

I’m in a small British cottage with less than ideal places to put speakers. 

I bought a Five with the turntable.  On its own, it sounded nice but not better than the single One you can see on the shelf. I really can’t put my finger on why and tried re-doing Trueplay several times. 

I tried a stereo pair of Ones vs the Five and obviously that sounded great. I was all up for getting a Port and popping another One in the top left corner using a wall mount.

Thing is I’ve been able to find a pair of Fives second hand for a great deal, albeit a bit more than I had planned.

• Although I know the Fives would be great in a big space would they actually be bad in a small space? i.e. I can’t drive them to the right volume to get the best from them .. bass wont really kick in … something else.

The alternative is going with the Ones with the option to add a Sub.

• Positioning a big sub in the room would require it beside the sofa I took the photo from.  I think that’s going to be too obviously not true to the soundstage*. If i put the new (and I know we’re guessing) Mini Sub bottom right in place of the chair, would that be far enough away to blur the directionality?

I’d appreciate any pointers.  Thank you!

(*My TV room has the PlayBar with the Sub behind the sofa and I notice that directionality but the rumble in the back is great.)

Room is about 5m on the axis of the photo and 6m wide.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I think a pair of Fives would sound great in that space, especially if you can get them for a good deal. I’m not sure where you would position them though.

If you listen to music with a lot of bass like hip hop or electronic music, I would go with the pair of Ones + Sub. But a pair of Fives will produce plenty of bass for most music genres.

I think a pair of Fives would sound great in that space, especially if you can get them for a good deal. I’m not sure where you would position them though.

If you listen to music with a lot of bass like hip hop or electronic music, I would go with the pair of Ones + Sub. But a pair of Fives will produce plenty of bass for most music genres.

The good news is the shelves are deep enough for a Five. Thinking I’d put it up another shelf.

The left I’d wall mount top left.  Although slightly paranoid about the space the speaker on the Flexson mount will take up.  It can be angled in and down.