Answered

Starting fresh

• 30 March 2021
  • 2 replies

so here we go … I just bought a house and since I sold mine with my equipment (Sony), I’m ready to buy brand new equipment (SONOS).  The house comes with ceiling speakers (office, laundry!, master bath, master bedroom, kitchen, living room, outdoor upstairs, outdoor downstairs).  It also comes with 7 speakers for the TV area.  so … I don’t need to buy any speakers (other than a subwoofer to achieve 7.1).  Everything arrives in a utility closet upstairs (TV is downstairs).  While I’d like to use WIFI, the house also has cat 5 (or 6, not sure yet I have not moved in just yet) throughout the house.  Here’s what I want to achieve -

• play music in every zone - either same or different music from same or different sources
    looks like I have 8 zones + the TV)
  • setup the surround sound 7.1
  • I don’t need the TV to play in other rooms (just surround sound / media room is enough)
  • TV is a smart TV Samsung
  • From what I’ve seen there is an HDMI cable running from the TV area to the utility closet (need to confirm that)
  • I have an apple TV, which I want to keep using
  • I’d like to connect Alexa to the system as it connects to Sirius (one of my sources)
  • all equipment should be in the utility closet upstairs
  • I have a Western Digital EX4 to store music and movies
  • I will have a second TV in the bonus room for games (Switch, Xbox) for the kids … that one will be 100% independent from everything else so I don’t need it to be connected to the media system

What equipment do I need ?  I don’t have any amplifier so if I can achieve what I want just with SONOS equipment, it’s better.  If I need a third party amplifier for the surround sound then I can buy one (what kind).  Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 March 2021, 23:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Exactly what I needed,  thanks a lot

Userlevel 7

Play music in every zone - either same or different music from same or different sources
looks like I have 8 zones + the TV)

To power your ceiling speakers, you would need to get a Sonos Amp for each zone since each Amp acts as a single zone. Also be sure your speakers will work with the Amp. Read more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717?language=en_US

Setup the surround sound 7.1

Sonos doesn’t offer a good 7.1 solution. I would recommend getting a good 7-channel AV receiver like this one: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v6a/index.html

If you want your 7.1 system to be part of your Sonos ecosystem, connect a Sonos Port to your receiver OR you could use AirPlay with an AirPlay 2 compatible receiver.

I have an Apple TV, which I want to keep using

The Apple TV can be connected to the receiver or directly to your Samsung TV.

I’d like to connect Alexa to the system as it connects to Sirius (one of my sources)

Alexa is compatible with all Sonos products. Get a receiver for your 7.1 system that “Works with Alexa”.

I have a Western Digital EX4 to store music and movies

Sonos works with a NAS drive: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US

I’ll let someone else recommend the best way to stream your movies to your Samsung TV. You might be able to access the NAS from your smart TV or Apple TV but I am not 100% certain.

I will have a second TV in the bonus room for games (Switch, Xbox) for the kids

If you want the second TV to be part of your Sonos ecosystem, you could connect it to a Sonos Beam sound bar.