Skip to main content

Hi - I am looking for some advice on adding some Sonos speakers to my kitchen dining room, and would like to figure out the best arrangement?

The room is approximately 6.7m long and 5.0m wide (though only 3.8m wide for the last 1.7m of length..), with a really high 3.1m ceiling. Half of the room is a kitchen with an island, with the other half a round dining table and couple of chairs separately. Floorplan attached though dining are is an old plan.

I was thinking an Era 300 for the kitchen area on a shelf on the back wall and another Era 300 in the dining area on a stand. These are indicated by the circled red crosses on the floorplan below. But would appreciate some advice on whether this is the right balance - overkill or not enough?

(Also note, no option to add ceiling speakers or anything built in, as the room is finished)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi, a friend had a similar sized kitchen diner to yours and ran two Sonos fives on wall shelves at the dining room and and a sub gen 2 it sounded really good, but it would Be more than twice the cost of two era 300s, and would not provide support for Dolby Atmos music.

be more than twice the cost of two era 300s, and would not provide support for Dolby Atmos music. I guess it depends what important, how much will you be listening in there? How loud do you listen? And is Dolby Atmos a requirement.

For your kitchen dining room setup, placing a Sonos Era 300 on a shelf in the kitchen area and another on a stand in the dining area sounds like a balanced approach. It should provide good coverage and sound distribution given the room dimensions and layout you described. Just ensure the placement accounts for optimal sound projection and accessibility. Enjoy setting up your Sonos speakers!

Thanks so much for the advice!! Really helpful.

Do you think the speaker could work in this spot here on the shelves (red cross below)?

Sonos Move 2 speakers might work best.  No need to plug in.  Would not be best though if you use them at times other than prepping & eating or if you would rather not have to put them on the charging rings when they are low on charge.  If you get 2 300s the temptation to use them elsewhere in the house as a stereo pair may be strong….unless you already have a stereo pair of 300s in the house.

NOTE: Moves will NOT pair with a sub.