Answered

Sonos1 or Sonos SL set horizontal at ceiling + wall edge.

• 20 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

I’m new to SONOS. Planning to purchase 1 pair of SONOS ONE/SL for complete home theater system.

This will be integrated with Arc + Sub Gen3.

My concern regard to ONE/SL placement since I were not allowed to have wiring or cables dwells on my living floor and that makes thing complicated.

Currently undergoing full wiring work at my home, so would like to use this opportunity to place sonos one/sl plug point against the wall however it will be at the edge of ceiling at my rear seat.

The length of my living will be 18 feet long. and width is about 14 feet long.

This are the planned setup, my only option is to set ONE/SL at the edge of wall ceiling. This will be the beam of my staircase hence no space to lower the ONE/SL at the wall site. It must at the edge.

The ARC placement will be about 2 feet from wall since this comes with 75” TV and TV cabinet placement. Also the distance to seat is another 10.5 feet due to the TV size.

Is this design do-able, also that i tilt the sonos one/SL horizontally? Is there any restriction to not set ONE/SL horizontally?

icon

Best answer by Navalar 20 October 2021, 05:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

This should work, but the actual mounting without exposing the power wiring will require some imagination.

ONE and ONE SL do not mind operating in that orientation. The tweeter is on the face opposite the power connection. For best sound I recommend that the tweeter face down.

@buzz - Thanks for the feedback, for the tweeter - you mean face down to the seat is it?

My plan was to keep the Sonos ONE/SL horizontally and tilt like 45 degree down facing toward the seat.

Meantime I’m still surveying for right speaker wall/ceiling mount capable for this setting. Please anyone recommend if got any in the market.

Yes, aiming the tweeter toward the seat would be a good idea -- and complicate the mounting.

Search for camera mounts for inspiration. Here is one interesting mount, but aiming would be tricky because you would need to anchor the mount at an angle. A pair of angle brackets  for each speaker might work.

Imagination required!

Although there is nothing wrong with using Sonos One SLs for rears like this, if you’re going to have get creative with mounting and getting power to these locations, it might make more sense and save some money using a Sonos amp and passive speakers mounted on the wall instead.  Yes, the amp + passive speakers will cost more, but you avoid the cost of having to wire power to the location, since all you’ll need is speaker wire, and you open up more options for speaker and mounts.