Question

Sonos Zp90/Connect to NAS

• 2 November 2020
  • 17 replies

Hi,

I am new with dematerialized music and I would like to know if I can connect a NAS directly to Sonos Connect 1st Generation Ethernet port, not through Wi-Fi (I don’t have any available Ethernet port on my Router). I am looking to Buffalo LinkStation 210 or Western Digital My Cloud Home Personnel.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

No, that port is looking for a network signal from a router, and not a direct connection to anything else. The NAS, as it names implies, needs to be on a network for the Sonos to ‘see’ it. 

My router have only one Ethernet port and it's connected to a computer, so do you have any suggestions to connect a N'AS to my network? 

A network hub?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Something like these, 5 or more ports for expansion.

Just get a short Ethernet cable to plug between this and your router, then move an Ethernet wire from the router to this to make a place to connect it. With a 5 port you’d then have 3 open ports.

https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-dp-B07PFYM5MZ/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Does the Sonos Connect can search the signal from the wifi? 

Would you rephrase that question, please?

I want to know if this configuration Sonos Connect and NAS is ok. 

Modem to router, router to switch, switch to NAS and Sono Connect search the audio files from NAS through wifi (not connect with Ethernet cable to NAS) 

Ah, I see. Yes, that would work. The CONNECT can work either by being wired via Ethernet cable to your network, or by being connected to your WiFi signal. 

What is the best for media NAS: 

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B00JKM0ES2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B076CTK55W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I know that I can had My Cloud Home as services on Sonos Apps, but is it better the Buffalo NAS or the WD My Cloud Home.

Thanks

From a Sonos perspective, I don’t think it makes a difference. If you’re looking for NAS comparisons, you may want to do some googling, I suspect there are websites out there that have done that work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Both of the devices you linked are far more than you need for Sonos music, remember you are limited to 65K tracks, less if you have a lot of meta data.

You really don’t want to use a Sonos compatible NAS for storing any important data as Sonos requires the less than safe and secure SMB v1 protocol to be enabled.

Pretty much any device can support the Sonos NAS needs, you don’t need anything other than SMB v1 support. A Raspberry Pi Zero-W (tiny cheap computer) has more than enough power to support multiple rooms playing different music in each.

Both of the devices you linked are far more than you need for Sonos music, remember you are limited to 65K tracks, less if you have a lot of meta data.

You really don’t want to use a Sonos compatible NAS for storing any important data as Sonos requires the less than safe and secure SMB v1 protocol to be enabled.

Pretty much any device can support the Sonos NAS needs, you don’t need anything other than SMB v1 support. A Raspberry Pi Zero-W (tiny cheap computer) has more than enough power to support multiple rooms playing different music in each.

Too late, I already order the Buffalo LinkStation 220 4 To, With this NAS I can store some data from my other computer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just keep in mind the security issues SMB v1 brings with it and protect yourself from attacks on it as well as possible. Bad enough to have a copy of your music go missing, having original files, pictures, documents or the like gone really hurts.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Server_Message_Block#Security

I set the SMB to v2 and it's working great.

Why does the Connect is limited to 65 000 music piece?  And does it include the album artwork? 

It must be allowing SMB v1 as well, SMB v2 has never worked in the past.

The general consensus is that it is the limited amount of available memory on the earliest speakers that forces the ‘65k-ish’ limit. I don’t think that album art is stored in that same data file, so I don’t think it would impact the number of files. There is at least in author of third party apps who is a member of this forum, I’d expect he would have more concrete information, since his own apps interface with Sonos’, and I expect he’s more familiar with the data path than I. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just did a quick test here toggled SMB v1 off and enabled SMB v2 and Sonos couldn’t play my tracks. Flipped it back to v1 and all are playing again.

Enable v1 - under [global]

# enable v1 authentication for Sonos access
ntlm auth=yes

Allow v2 but not v1 - under [global]

# enable v2 authentication
protocol = SMB2

The Buffalo does not support Plex Media Server, but I know that the Wd My CLoud Home Personnal support it. Is it a better idea to have the WD? Does the Plex media server can correct the nmber of file limit of the Sonos Connect?