Sonos Roam questions

• 17 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi guys, so I’d like to know why the apple HomePod mini has a wider soundstage than the Sonos roam? In this photo I have attached, the Apple HomePod mini is on the left and the Sonos Roam is on the right. I heard the sound test too and played it on my Sonos play 5. The details in the song tracks seem to be wider and more present on the apple HomePod mini. But does anyone know why though? I was hoping the Sonos roam would blow the Apple HomePod mini out of the water with its sound quality but that does not seem to be the case. Very comparable sound quality it’s seems. It seems the apple HomePod mini is a little better for music with its wider soundstage.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

It probably has something to do with the HomePod’s 360 degree acoustic waveguide as opposed to the Roam’s two drivers located on one side of the speaker.

Get two Roams and stereo pair them. The RTINGS test is for mono.

My own reasons for going with the Roam instead of the HomePod Mini are perhaps best explained in this independent YT video comparison:

Badge +2

Ok cool thanks 

Badge +2

But I had 2 Sonos roams in a stereo pair an. The sounds was really good. But the sound wasn’t good enough in a stereo pair for me to keep a second Sonos roam since they are 170 dollars each. I liked the sound a lot though. But online you can get the jbl charge 5 for only 10 dollars more and online reviews say it’s larger size makes the difference. But both speakers only have 1 tweeter. And 1 mid-woofer. Except the JBL charge 5 has passive radiators for the bass. And so does the apple HomePod mini. 

If you simply want a Bluetooth speaker, rather than one that also integrates with the Sonos system, then the cost/benefit equation is different.

Badge +2

That’s true @ratty.