Sonos products evolution and voice system

• 11 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I’m new here but I use sonos product since many years.

I currently use :

• few Play : 1
  • 2 Play : 3
  • 1 Play : 5 (Gen2)
  • 1 Play one SL

When I saw the roam annoncement, I decided to write this topic to share with you.

I’m realy interested in this new product. The format is nice, the ability to use bluetooth are realy attracting.

But, I have the same fealing as when you created the Play One to replace the Play : 1 :

Oh my god! If I want to move to it, I will have no choice… The voice control service is imposed…

I don’t want to have any of those system in my flat.

None!

I want a system to ear music with home/room intégration and as much as possible good sound. I don’t want anything listening to me in my private life!

That’s my choice and I don’t think to be the only one thinking like this….

I’m sure this functionality is apreciate by many of your customers, but not by some others (I am one of them)...

So when the Play One SL arrived, I was reassured.

Will you do the same with the Roam : will there be a version without voice control system?

Sorry for my bad english writting, it’s not my mother language…

I’ll be happy to read your feedback.

Regards,

Nicolas B.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

None of the Sonos speakers require you to enable a voice assistant.

There is a physical button that needs to be switched ‘on’ in order to have the microphone to work, it can’t be done in software. Additionally, the microphone is not ‘on’ if you don’t enable a voice assistant.

You have a greater opportunity to be spied on by your use of a web browser and an ISP than you are to have a microphone on a music speaker.

In addition to the above, the microphone power is physically linked to an LED, it cannot be turned on without lighting the LED.  So even if something malicious is going on and something/someone turns on the microphone either by pushing the button or via software, you will know due to the LED.