Answered

Sonos Port streaming to non-Sonos Airplay2 enabled speakers

• 11 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I can currently stream music from my iOS devices to two Bose Home speaker 500s; two Sony AV receivers (hard wired to surround sound speakers); and one Lithe Audio speaker - all are Apple Airplay2 compatible.

I now want a method to connect my old hi-fi system (tape deck, turntable, amp) to all these speakers.  I was wondering if the Sonos Port was the answer.  Hard wire connection from old hi-fi to Sonos Port and then stream from Sonos to any speaker.  Will it work or does Sonos Port only work with its own set of Airplay2 speakers?

many thanks...

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 March 2021, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Port should work fine with the other speakers as long as they are all Airplay 2 enabled. I would confirm this with Sonos.

All Sonos devices are airplay receivers, pretty much like your other speakers.  You can send audio via airplay to the Port, same as you can to your other speakers.  And yes the Port can be wired to your old hi-fi.  Honestly though, it may be a better option to just replace your old hifi with an airplay capable receiver, if you aren’t going to use any of Sonos specific features.

Ah, thanks.  It’s not so much that I want to send audio to the Port, it’s more a case of transmitting audio from the Sonos Port to my Airplay2 speakers (over wifi, not Bluetooth).  None of my speakers are Sonos and I just didn’t know if Sonos equipment only worked with its own brand of equipment - Sonos haven't confirmed either way, at the moment.

Sonos does not ‘send’ AirPlay 2 signals, it is only a receiver. So, while you could send an AirPlay 2 signal to the Port, and have that signal in the Sonos ecosystem, which would allow the Port’s line out to have the signal, the Port does not send out an AirPlay 2 signal.