Question

Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 pairing with Play 5 gen 3?

• 22 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone, 

Quick question. I have a Play 5 Gen 2 that I was looking to stereo pair with another Play 5. 

When I looked online, I can see now there is a Play 5 Gen 3, that looks very similar to the one I have. 

Digging a little deeper I saw you can’t pair a Gen 1 with a Gen 2, but I can’t find anything on pairing the Gen 2 and a Gen 3 play 5.

Are they considered more or less the same as they look identical? Or should I just opt for the cheaper Gen 2 Play 5?

Any help would be most appreciated! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The short answer is we don’t know and wont until the new model is announced.

Trying to guess is hard as you say.  Play 5 gen 1 and are incompatible but  Sonos One Gen 1 and 2 are fully compatible!  

If the current play 5 does all you need then why not get it?  The tings that are likely to be changes on the new play 5 are maybe the addition of Voice Control and Integrated Trueplay much like the move.

No doubt we’ll see soon as the Play 5 Gen 2 is now out of stock with Sonos.

Could you provide a link to the Gen 3 please?

Hi @Airgetlam , 

Attached is what I found - when i search gen 2 

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/sonos-play-5-wireless-speaker-white.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5oEkeXWcQTeVS2Z6M8voDf63LbMqH60ZFdNYtl8eHbianc0B96FI5RoCl8wQAvD_BwE

When I search gen 3 

https://www.sonos.com/en-au/shop/play5-black.html?&utm_campaign=GGL_AU_EN_SONOS_PLA_SHOPPING_All+Shopping+(Smart+Shopping)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=GGL_AU_EN_SONOS_PLA_SHOPPING_All+Shopping+(Smart+Shopping)&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5uyQGvPlclWrqreGAJbyNwFWcxsHMCBnRwqTWDtEQXmDmLx-jDY3CRoCQ5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Possibly, what I expected, is that they are the same but the Sonos store is just more expensive? Are there any differences between these two models other than price? It’s probably being overly pedantic, but I’ve read other threads of people buying speakers to stereo pair and it not working and I don’t want to end up there! 

Also as an aside, does anyone know if you can still run a pre-amp through the line in of the play 5 if it’s stereo paired? 

Thanks!  

Both of those are gen 2. There is no gen 3 PLAY:5. 

Sonos tends not to discount as much as other sources, which is why there might be a price difference.

As long as both speakers are the same gen, then they can be paired. 

As long as your PLAY:5s are not bonded as surround speakers, the line in would work. 

@Airgetlam 

That was my thought, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making a costly mistake. 

Thanks again for your help, now to find the best priced play 5 and get stereo-ing!