Question

Sonos one Vs. 1 and limitations of Wifi

• 22 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi - I bought a sonos one about 4 months back and returned it due to limited alexa functionality. Presently have two paired 1's. Dig 'em, but my main frustration is I can't play anything through them besides spotify and those few other connected services. I'd like to be able to play anything on my phone on my speakers (sleep sounds, other apps, etc). I'm thinking Sonos one and Alexa got me closer to that (at least being able to play some of the other Alexa apps like sleep sounds through the speakers). Anyway - long story short, now that they are offering a pair of One's for only $350 I can upgrade my paired 1's to paired ones for just $50. Seems like a no brainer but wondering if there's anything I'm missing on this...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi - I bought a sonos one about 4 months back and returned it due to limited alexa functionality. Presently have two paired 1's. Dig 'em, but my main frustration is I can't play anything through them besides spotify and those few other connected services.

Sonos actually has a much larger select of music services then pretty much everyone else. I've never looked, but I'd be surprised if there isn't one available to provide sleep sounds. In fact, I was able to find some sleep music through Amazon music rather quickly. Don't know if that fits your needs.

I'd like to be able to play anything on my phone on my speakers (sleep sounds, other apps, etc).

'Other apps' could be a problem in terms of finding a music service available through Sonos. However, if your phone is an Apple, you may want to hold out till Sonos supports airplay 2. This is suppose to allow you to stream any audio from your phone to Sonos. I haven't looked into it much, since I don't own an apple.

I'm thinking Sonos one and Alexa got me closer to that (at least being able to play some of the other Alexa apps like sleep sounds through the speakers). Anyway - long story short, now that they are offering a pair of One's for only $350 I can upgrade my paired 1's to paired ones for just $50. Seems like a no brainer but wondering if there's anything I'm missing on this...

I assuming you're saying it's just $50 because you're returning your Play:1's? It doesn't sound like a bad idea, given what's important to you, but again airplay 2 support may be what you really want, and there may be some music services available that you aren't aware of.
Userlevel 7
You're not missing anything that I can see from your comments.

Sleep Sounds is Skill you must enable in the Alexa App. Go to Skills and type "sleep sounds" and you get several hits. Skills are an Alexa function and how you request them (diction) is critical. You can't ask Alexa to activate a Rain Skill (if such an animal exists) and pronounce it as "Wane"_get it :8

You can play anything on your phone as long as it's downloaded and available in the Sonos App as music or a favorite. Of course you can also play any music streaming service supported in the Sonos App.

You mentioned that you want to upgrade the Play1's to Sonos One's. Assuming you mean return them...that should be possible as long as you're inside the return window from wherever you purchased the Play1's. If not you can always sell the Play 1's on eBay. I've done so and gotten 75% of their original value after 2 years of ownership 🆒

Note: The Sonos One still does not offer all skills that can be realized on a dedicated Echo, Tap, Dot or Show.

I hope I've answered your query. Cheers!
Thanks - all useful thoughts. Was unaware of airplay2 coming. But from what I can tell for a quick search it's unclear what speakers it will be available on? I guess the other reason I'm thinking of upgrading to the Ones is just all around future compatibility - I have to imagine there will be future features (perhaps like airplay2) that will be available on the Ones and not the 1's. Sound reasonable?