Sonos One or One SL

• 29 February 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

One step away from a perfect HT. I have a Playbar and two Play 3s. Only SUB missing. Wife won’t approve it. I can get one Sonos One, though. So, now only thing to choose from is One SL or One. May be I could stretch it to a pair :relaxed: .

What do you say?

Neven

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I would tend to always opt for the Sonos One, as it has twice the storage and ram compared to the SL (I believe). It also has the mics and built in voice assistant for a few dollars/pounds more. They sound the same, but I think the added features mentioned, will be more worthwhile in the long-term.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I would tend to always opt for the Sonos One, as it has twice the storage and ram compared to the SL (I believe). It also has the mics and built in voice assistant for a few dollars/pounds more. They sound the same, but I think the added features mentioned, will be more worthwhile in the long-term.

thank you. 

Neven

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t do voice stuff so the SL is my choice but I don’t recommend that to others unless they are planning on using it in a surround setup (EDIT: with a Beam) that would disable the voice functions anyway.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have two Play 3s as surround. I play to put a single Play One to invite Alexa and Google to my home. 

Neven

I don’t do voice stuff so the SL is my choice but I don’t recommend that to others unless they are planning on using it in a surround setup that would disable the voice functions anyway.

Surround setups do not disable voice functions, they disable Airplay. (When used with a Beam the surrounds don't work for voice,  but that is because the Beam is itself voice enabled anyway.)

I have two Play 3s as surround. I play to put a single Play One to invite Alexa and Google to my home. 

Neven

If the aim is primarily to introduce voice control to a room that already has Sonos speakers then there would be advantages in buying an Echo Dot or Google Mini rather than a Sonos speaker. That would require making a choice between Alexa and GA.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

To be honest, I don't know. Maybe I will not be using voice service after all. Bit I would sure love to own another Sonos speaker :-)

Thank you

Neven

To be honest, I don't know. Maybe I will not be using voice service after all. Bit I would sure love to own another Sonos speaker :-)

Thank you

Neven

A very understandable feeling. And from my experience one that persists no matter how many you own. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

So true! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Surround setups do not disable voice functions, they disable Airplay. (When used with a Beam the surrounds don't work for voice,  but that is because the Beam is itself voice enabled anyway.)

Thanks, I edited my post to add that I was thinking of a Beam setup.